• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Outside storage of tires

FM William Burns said:
Tire storage in buildings shall also comply with Chapter 23.
Section 2302.1 defines High-Piled Combustible Storage as rubber tires where the top of storage exceeds 6 feet in height. Where the storage does not exceed this height, the storage arrangement need not be identified as high-piled storage, and Chapter 23 need not apply.

FM William Burns said:

Tire storage in buildings shall also comply with Chapter 23.

TABLE 2306.2 GENERAL FIRE PROTECTION AND LIFE SAFETY REQUIREMENTS
I submit that until a permit is needed then Chapter 23 doesn't apply.

105.6.29 Miscellaneous combustible storage.

An operational permit is required to store in any building or upon any premises in excess of 2,500 cubic feet (71 m3) gross volume of combustible empty packing cases, boxes, barrels or similar containers, rubber tires, rubber, cork or similar combustible material.

AegisFPE said:
I would submit that 2505 could be applicable where the pile size set by 2509.1 is exceeded; up to that size, address as presented in prior post.
2509.1 isn't setting the outdoor tire pile size, it sets indoor. 2505.1 only sets the maximum dimensions of a pile outside not the minimum to be considered one. Four of those Straddle Carrier tires I quoted before stacked would be 6ft tall. That's 30 million BTU of heat producing potential. That is a pile in my book.

mtlogcabin said:
Do you have proper access to the piles?SECTION 4605

REQUIREMENTS FOR OUTDOOR OPERATIONS

4605.1 Tire storage yards.

Existing tire storage yards shall be provided with fire apparatus access roads in accordance with Sections 4605.1.1 and 4605.1.2.

4605.1.1 Access to piles.

Access roadways shall be within 150 feet (45 720 mm) of any point in the storage yard where storage piles are located, at least 20 feet (6096 mm) from any storage pile.

4605.1.2 Location within piles.

Fire apparatus access roads shall be located within all pile clearances identified in Section 2505.4 and within all fire breaks required in Section 2505.5.
Access is not an issue with this tire storage area.

"Well on new places hopefully you can notify them up front before they buy a building or lease that the fifty foot rule applies. Just have heart burn that the code does not set an amount or size where it applies"

Only problem is we never find out about these places until they have already moved in and obtained their business license. We are not included on the business license checklist. Unless the business owner is sharp he may never consider contacting the fire Marshal before starting operations.

I'm dealing with this similar situation now. This isn't for large tires though. This business has thre two level racks outside against a neighboring building. You couldn't get 50 foot from a lot line on this property. It may not even be 50X50.

Marshal Chris said:
I'm dealing with this similar situation now. This isn't for large tires though. This business has thre two level racks outside against a neighboring building. You couldn't get 50 foot from a lot line on this property. It may not even be 50X50.
I have a used tire shop like that. He has a small building with no inside tire storage, only enough room for tire changing equipment. Tires stored on wood racks in a 15x20 area right next to the building outside. He is having a metal storage building constructed on site so he can move the tires inside.

Waste? Violation of 2505.4? Does not look like 50' to me.

Code of Virginia states the following:

It shall be unlawful for any person to store, dispose of, speculatively accumulate or otherwise place more than 100 waste tires on public or private property, without first having obtained a permit as required by § 10.1-1408.1 or in a manner inconsistent with any local ordinance. No person shall allow others to store, dispose of, speculatively accumulate or otherwise place on his property more than 100 waste tires, without first having obtained a permit as required by § 10.1-1408.1.

C. Any person who knowingly violates any provision of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. However, any person who knowingly violates any provision of this section and such violation involves 500 or more waste tires shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony.

You may have a similar code for your state.