• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Oxidizing Gas and Use-Closed Systems

RLGA

SAWHORSE
I'm entering new territory regarding medical gases. I have a Group I-1 assisted living facility that will have a medical oxygen system for a portion of the building. I have determined that the quantity in storage and in use will be well over the 3,000 cu. ft. permitted per Table 307.1(1) (twice the allowable since a sprinkler system is installed).

The issue is that the bulk of the oxygen system's quantity is in storage outside and the only portion of the system that is inside the building is the distribution piping to the outlets in the rooms, which, in all likelihood is less than 3,000 cu. ft.. For outdoor storage, the IFC and NFPA 99 have no restrictions on the quantity of oxygen storage or use, which is fine. But, when considering the quantity applicable to a control area for the interior of the building, do I only use that portion that is actually contained within the building, or must I consider the entire system, even though most of the quantity is outdoors?

Thanks.

I saying there are two conditions

Inside storage and outside storage

And would say you do not combine the two to determine storage quantities allowed.

And I take it the outside is away from the building and not an exterior room to the building?

Missing anything?

The outdoor storage is a covered enclosure complying with NFPA 99. I could find no requirements for distance separation between the outdoor storage and the building associated with the distribution. There is a 5-foot distance separation from other buildings not associated with the oxygen storage and a 5-foot distance separation from public ways and lot lines. Further, I could find no requirement for a fire-resistance rating for the exterior wall between the outdoor storage and the interior of the building (there is a 1-hour requirement for indoor storage, though).

As you have stated, allowable quantities per control area, both in storage and in use open/closed, all have limitations.

I believe the answer to this question is found in the definitions.. Oddly, the definitions distinguish between "Control Area" and "Outdoor Control Area", leading one to believe you are providing two control areas even though there does not seem to be any rated construction requirements separating them. I think considering the application one or two control areas for the indoor/outdoor area is irrelevant, there are allowances for both indoor and outdoor storage which could be considered cumulatively as one control area (add the indoor quantities to the allowed outdoor quantities) or as two separate control areas having distinctly different allowances.

ZIG

Last edited by a moderator:
# ~ # ~ #Ron,

If you haven't already, ...see Table 6304.2.1, in the `15 IFC,

for separation distances between storage areas.

This link goes to Table 6304.2.1:

'>http://codes.iccsafe.org/app/book/content/2015-I-Codes/2015_IFC_HTML/Chapter%2063.html"]http://codes.iccsafe.org/app/book/content/2015-I-Codes/2015_IFC_HTML/Chapter%2063.html

This directive path comes from Section 5306.4, in the `12

IFC & `15 IFC.

# ~ # ~ #
Check your Scope

Chapter 63

storage and use of oxidizing materials shall be in accordance with this chapter and Chapter 50. Oxidizing gases shall also comply with Chapter 53. Oxidizing cryogenic fluids shall also comply with Chapter 55.

Exceptions:

1. Display and storage in Group M and storage in Group S occupancies complying with Section 5003.11.

2. Bulk oxygen systems at industrial and institutional consumer sites shall be in accordance with NFPA 55.

3. Liquid oxygen stored or used in home health care in Group I-1, I-4 and R occupancies in accordance with Section 6306.

Would go with chapter 53

Last edited by a moderator:
The outdoor storage is a covered enclosure complying with NFPA 99. I could find no requirements for distance separation between the outdoor storage and the building associated with the distribution. There is a 5-foot distance separation from other buildings not associated with the oxygen storage and a 5-foot distance separation from public ways and lot lines. Further' date=' I could find no requirement for a fire-resistance rating for the exterior wall between the outdoor storage and the interior of the building (there is a 1-hour requirement for indoor storage, though).[/quote']In the 2009 ifc

Look at 4004.2.2

Footnote a

For SI: 1 foot = 304.8 mm, 1 cubic foot = 0.02832m3.

a. The minimum required distances shall not apply when fire barriers without openings or penetrations having a minimum fire-resistance rating of 2 hours interrupt the line of sight between the storage and the exposure. The configuration of the fire barrier shall be designed to allow natural ventilation to prevent the accumulation of hazardous gas concentrations.

Yes appears you only need five feet from the building, for the outside storage