1. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

PA Act 121 of 2013 - Carbon Monoxide Alarms

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by MikeC, May 21, 2015.

1. MikeC

MikeC Silver Member

Here is Act 121 of 2013 (it is short)

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/li/uconsCheck.cfm?yr=2013&sessInd=0&act=121

I wonder where this leaves us who enforce the UCC? Section 3 of the act reads:

So, now the issue is: I issue a COO for an R2 occupancy and the Property Maintenance Inspectors come along for the rental inspection and tell the owner it doesn't pass because he doesn't have carbon monoxide alarms.

For those of you who don't know, PA is still mostly in the 2009 editions of the I-codes. Carbon monoxide alarms didn't exist in the IBC until 2012.

2. jdfruit

jdfruit Sawhorse

After reading the legislation; it appears the focus is Owner and Tenant responsibility to install the CO detectors, maintain them in working condition, and disclose their existence upon rent agreement. Looks like the Building Officials are not in this loop.

When CA did the CO detector mess a couple years ago for requiring them retrofit (similar to PA), they initially required retrofit with verification by Fire Marshal. Now the CO detectors are in the current code and life is somewhat easier.

3. JBI

JBI Sawhorse

I didn't read the act (headache), but if it is a retroactive requirement, then the units must be installed.

If it is an interim amendment to the UCC, then it would be enforced as provided from the date it went into effect forward.

4. cda

cda Sawhorse

They have 18 months from when it was signed to comply

It is just a retro legislation