• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

PA ADA Variance Process

I apologize if this was covered, I searched the archive and only found this thread. https://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/threads/technically-infeasible-and-liability.32656/ it doesn't really help with my issue.

The property is 1849 stone structure in Pennsylvania. No C/0 and used as residence, R3. Change of use on first floor to M, 2nd,3rd and 4th Floors to remain as R3. 2 hour fire separations, ADA restroom etc. Sticking point is at least one accessible entrance. Sidewalks were put in by the town with state grant money in 2000 and are 48" wide, with utilities, (gas meters, sewer vents) decreasing to 42" clear. The street is so narrow that putting in wider sidewalks would have removed all parking on street in a town where parking has been a problem since 1920s. Curb is 8", step in to first floor is 5". There is lots of foot traffic and the sidewalks are really too narrow for number of pedestrians, curb is already too high for most pedestrians stepping on/off. Building is a listed contributing resource in a national historic district, district was established 1975.

There are 5 business on this block, most have no c/o, none meet any ADA requirement, or modern fire ratings ETC.

This project is IBC 2015/IBC Chapter 11 2018

In Pennsylvania the BCO does NOT have jurisdiction over ADA variances, that is a state appeals board run by the department of labor and industry. I requested a variance from the Accessibility Advisory Board. I claimed technically infeasible, I can neither raise the sidewalk nor lower the floor level and I need to make up 5" rise in 6" run. Even that would be encroachment on the right of way, although no more than the existing utility encroachment. I had a hearing on the phone and made my case, I was immediately denied. I was told I had to put a call button in, I had no problem with that, next I was told that the shop keeper would then have to bring out a temporary ramp. I asked if that had to be ADA pitch 1:12 max. I was told it did, I explained it would be 13' long, with double handrail, and weight 200? lbs. and be in the middle of a busy street. I was told I would have to have someone stop traffic. I explained, that the shopkeeper could not setup such a thing, could not store this ramp, could not stop traffic for safety and liability reasons, I was then told I could put a steeper ramp in temporarily as it would be push assist with the call button. I asked how steep that could be. The board told me that could not advise me on that. I asked if it could be 5" rise/6" run they said no, I asked if it could be 5" rise, 12" run, they said no, I told them if I reduced the sidewalk to less than 42" I could not comply with ANSI 404.2.3.2 maneuver clearance at manual swing door. I was told to reapply, they were willing to waive the fee but it would still be at least a month.

The board sent me findings stating I had to put a call button and signage, and comply with ANSI 405.5 and 405.9 side guards and width but made no mention of 405.2, ramp grade. The BCO wants more clarification, I understand that, the BCO could have his license dinged when the state audits this site. This SEEMS to me to be the state not wanting to have liability? and the BCO unable to accept liability.

I pulled the 1849 threshold stone out such that I could push the door in to the building a bit, 18" thick stone walls, and sent a plan with two options for a second hearing with the advisory board. Option 1, 24" run 5" rise, 21% pitch Option 2 18" run 1.5" rise AND temporary 6" run 3.5" rise 56%. Both would require call button and signage, neither is ideal. Both seem like tripping hazards.

I know that was a long description, any input on other options or opinions on what to do in this situation?
thank you

Welcome to the forum 1849,

know the feeling since I am in an 1875..... The running joke in my area is "what's a C/O" even after 20 years....

What might help those here better help you are a few site pictures, and I know it is a rather large cost probably to a minor renovation, but I have seen more than a few, as keystone noted, chair lifts flip down in front of another opening on the sidewalk line, drop down, and then lift up and retrack back to the building. Think of the lifts on the back of delivery trucks. The call button activates, staff comes to help and you just need to be creative with the sidewalk room, but you might be able to cut it in to the building facade and not have to mess with the other entry at all.

I have also seen them done in front of the opening where the sidewalk lifts up like the NYC style basement delivery lifts, again costly and not enough room for 90 degree turn, but an option.

I don't have any picture's but I have seen it done, and it is a lot more costly than a ramp, is there not a rear entrance that can be looked at?

I apologize if this was covered, I searched the archive and only found this thread. https://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/threads/technically-infeasible-and-liability.32656/ it doesn't really help with my issue.

The property is 1849 stone structure in Pennsylvania. No C/0 and used as residence, R3. Change of use on first floor to M, 2nd,3rd and 4th Floors to remain as R3. 2 hour fire separations, ADA restroom etc. Sticking point is at least one accessible entrance. Sidewalks were put in by the town with state grant money in 2000 and are 48" wide, with utilities, (gas meters, sewer vents) decreasing to 42" clear. The street is so narrow that putting in wider sidewalks would have removed all parking on street in a town where parking has been a problem since 1920s. Curb is 8", step in to first floor is 5". There is lots of foot traffic and the sidewalks are really too narrow for number of pedestrians, curb is already too high for most pedestrians stepping on/off. Building is a listed contributing resource in a national historic district, district was established 1975.

There are 5 business on this block, most have no c/o, none meet any ADA requirement, or modern fire ratings ETC.

This project is IBC 2015/IBC Chapter 11 2018

In Pennsylvania the BCO does NOT have jurisdiction over ADA variances, that is a state appeals board run by the department of labor and industry. I requested a variance from the Accessibility Advisory Board. I claimed technically infeasible, I can neither raise the sidewalk nor lower the floor level and I need to make up 5" rise in 6" run. Even that would be encroachment on the right of way, although no more than the existing utility encroachment. I had a hearing on the phone and made my case, I was immediately denied. I was told I had to put a call button in, I had no problem with that, next I was told that the shop keeper would then have to bring out a temporary ramp. I asked if that had to be ADA pitch 1:12 max. I was told it did, I explained it would be 13' long, with double handrail, and weight 200? lbs. and be in the middle of a busy street. I was told I would have to have someone stop traffic. I explained, that the shopkeeper could not setup such a thing, could not store this ramp, could not stop traffic for safety and liability reasons, I was then told I could put a steeper ramp in temporarily as it would be push assist with the call button. I asked how steep that could be. The board told me that could not advise me on that. I asked if it could be 5" rise/6" run they said no, I asked if it could be 5" rise, 12" run, they said no, I told them if I reduced the sidewalk to less than 42" I could not comply with ANSI 404.2.3.2 maneuver clearance at manual swing door. I was told to reapply, they were willing to waive the fee but it would still be at least a month.

The board sent me findings stating I had to put a call button and signage, and comply with ANSI 405.5 and 405.9 side guards and width but made no mention of 405.2, ramp grade. The BCO wants more clarification, I understand that, the BCO could have his license dinged when the state audits this site. This SEEMS to me to be the state not wanting to have liability? and the BCO unable to accept liability.

I pulled the 1849 threshold stone out such that I could push the door in to the building a bit, 18" thick stone walls, and sent a plan with two options for a second hearing with the advisory board. Option 1, 24" run 5" rise, 21% pitch Option 2 18" run 1.5" rise AND temporary 6" run 3.5" rise 56%. Both would require call button and signage, neither is ideal. Both seem like tripping hazards.

I know that was a long description, any input on other options or opinions on what to do in this situation?
thank you

Yep, Just what I thought you were going post, Floor lift either making a vestibule or if the city would allow and embed that lifts up.

I might make a suggestion, contact technical services at the Access-board down in DC

https://www.access-board.gov/ada/

They have always been helpful to me on things like this, if they have a solution you like, propose it to L&I, you can talk to them and get an email response.

A plate lift in the sidewalk adds a tripping hazard in the right of way. I can't see that being allowed by the town for liability reasons.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wmpg3imjtt2sxq8/IMG_5199.JPG?dl=0

above is the side door pic link, the finished floor is down 14" from the door and the door threshold is down ~4' from the sidewalk.
The entire sidewalk is going to be pulled and replaced with continous grade, safetly ballards, staircases, retaining wall, guard railing etc. No matter what I do on the side/rear door, I can't improve grade or multiple steps. A lift at the back door would require two, one interior and one exterior and crucially sidewalk grade to back door cannot meet max 1/12 8.3%.

You only need to spend 20% more than the cost of the project to comply. A solid gold lever type door nob should do the trick or something like this could give you the 20%.
I'm surprised the state accessibility appeals board is giving you such a hard time. In my experience they let a lot of things go.

THoughts on a side or rear entrance being accessible? Obviously this front entrance isn't going to work for any compliance with code.... it's infeasible technically speaking

Saw similar conditions to this addressed in OLd Town Sacramento wooden sidewalks and Annappolis, it can be done.

THoughts on a side or rear entrance being accessible? Obviously this front entrance isn't going to work for any compliance with code.... it's infeasible technically speaking
Yeah the side street is over a 9.5% slope going up the alley and the sidewalk there is less than 3ft, more like 30 inches, so not seeing it.

Put ramp inside by moving the door inward and lose some interior space similar to an alcove
Means cutting the floor joists out to create ramp floor, installing new basement footers to make a new structure for the ramp to sit on. Create a cold space below the bedroom on the second floor and above the basement corner. Eliminating the door off the facade, which means changing the look and making that doorway not match the other 15 in the contributing resource to the national historic district? I think that is going to far on this process but open to the push back on that.

In looking at your photo the door and jamb are toast as it is. Swing the door out over a new landing and ramp inside to interior floor level. Visually there wouldn't be much of a change to the exterior and it would be compliant. The ramp interior could be a 1:8 or 1:10 slope in an exisiting bldg

In looking at your photo the door and jamb are toast as it is. Swing the door out over a new landing and ramp inside to interior floor level. Visually there wouldn't be much of a change to the exterior and it would be compliant. The ramp interior could be a 1:8 or 1:10 slope in an exisiting bldg
? don't think I am understanding this, wouldn't you need 18" to the latch side of a pull door and the landing would have to be 44" before the ramp, ramp is still 40" long so , 84" or do you mean door would swing over a 4' sidewalk hitting pedestrians as it swung open?

"Swing the door out over a new landing and ramp inside to interior floor level."

A 5 ft square landing would be required inside the door to get the required maneuvering space, then the ramp, then another 5 ft. landing at the top of the ramp. I expect this would run over 20% of the renovation cost as well as wiping out a lot of the sales space.

Means cutting the floor joists out to create ramp floor, installing new basement footers to make a new structure for the ramp to sit on. Create a cold space below the bedroom on the second floor and above the basement corner. Eliminating the door off the facade, which means changing the look and making that doorway not match the other 15 in the contributing resource to the national historic district? I think that is going to far on this process but open to the push back on that.
Only the PA Accessibility Advisory Board can determine "technical infeasibility" so you may just be stuck with their decision. If you can put 20% of the renovation costs into interior accessibility, that should suffice. Is this a historical building on a register as such?

Only the PA Accessibility Advisory Board can determine "technical infeasibility" so you may just be stuck with their decision. If you can put 20% of the renovation costs into interior accessibility, that should suffice.
That is basically CT's approach too...

"Swing the door out over a new landing and ramp inside to interior floor level."

A 5 ft square landing would be required inside the door to get the required maneuvering space, then the ramp, then another 5 ft. landing at the top of the ramp. I expect this would run over 20% of the renovation cost as well as wiping out a lot of the sales space.
To lower the door at the street and move the door inside more into the building and then provide a 5x5 landing and then provide a ramp and then another 5x5 landing you end up with no interior space.

Look at the picture this building is only about 12ft wide on the exterior, interior with stone exterior is lucky to be 11ft wide.
And if my memory serves me right it is probably less than 24-28 feet deep on the exterior of the main building.

My thought is raise the walkway with cross pad in front of the 2 doors and ramp down to the correct height. If the Town will let you...