• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

PA State Pool Code - What code? (Online Viewer)

tbz

Silver Member
Well I am working on a barrier (Fence) for a commercial swimming pool is a common area of an R2/R3 in PA.

I went to the current online addition of the adopted IBC under PA and went to section 3109, and here it tells me to follow the International Swimming Pool & Spa Code, doesn't say which version and when I navigate to the ICC list of codes adopted by PA in the free viewer it doesn't even list the pool code.

Next I went to chapter 35 in the online version of the PA adopted IBC to look up the version under standards and it does not even list the International Swimming Pool & Spa Code in the ICC section under chapter 35.

So, Next I went to the PA Labor and industry website to see who I can call, and it tells me to fill out a form and in a week or so they will get back to you. I know its Friday, but this just seems extremely odd and I can't wait for limbo to call back.

So any of the PA Gals or Guys able to tell me what is up with this.

Do you know of a link or at least good contact phone number for L&I to call about this?

Extremely odd it tells me to go to something and then doesn't show or reference the correct document to use.

2015 International Pool & Spa Code, adopted by reference in Pa.

Thank you for the quick response, do you happen to know if there is an online viewer for the State with free access?

Also does anyone know if the barrier portion is different in the 2015 from the 2018 model code. Only reason, I have a 2018, but not a 2015.

Thanks again....

PA DL&I Code Reviewer
(717) 787-3806, Option 1, then Option 3

I have had mixed success when trying to contact them in the past.

2015 ISPSC section 305 barrier requirements. Mostly no changes from 2009 IRC except for below:

The bottom of a pool and spa barrier can now be a maximum 4” above a solid surface, such as concrete. Still required to less than 2” above other surfaces

New section on Mesh fence as a barrier with different barrier requirements 305.2.4

New smaller Chain link dimensions. 305.2.7 The maximum opening

formed by a chain link fence shall be not more than 13/4

inches (44 mm) (was 2-1/4”). Where the fence is provided with slats

fastened at the top and bottom which reduce the openings,

such openings shall be not more than 13/4 inches (44 mm).

305.2.9 Clear zone. There shall be a clear zone of not less

than 36 inches (914 mm) between the exterior of the barrier

and any permanent structures or equipment such as

pumps, filters and heaters that can be used to climb the

barrier.

305.2.10 Poolside barrier setbacks. The pool or spa side

of the required barrier shall be not less than 20 inches (508

mm) from the water’s edge.

305.4 Structure wall as a barrier. Where a wall of a dwelling

or structure serves as part of the barrier and where doors

or windows provide direct access to the pool or spa through

that wall, one of the following shall be required:

1. Operable windows having a sill height of less than 48

inches (1219 mm) above the indoor finished floor and

doors shall have an alarm that produces an audible

warning when the window, door or their screens are

opened. The alarm shall be listed and labeled as a water

hazard entrance alarm in accordance with UL 2017. In

dwellings or structures not required to be Accessible

units, Type A units or Type B units, the operable parts

of the alarm deactivation switches shall be located 54

inches (1372 mm) or more above the finished floor. In

dwellings or structures required to be Accessible units,

Type A units or Type B units, the operable parts of the

alarm deactivation switches shall be located not greater

than 54 inches (1372 mm) and not less than 48 inches

(1219 mm) above the finished floor.

2. A safety cover that is listed and labeled in accordance

with ASTM F 1346 is installed for the pools and spas.

3. An approved means of protection, such as self-closing

doors with self-latching devices, is provided. Such

means of protection shall provide a degree of protection

that is not less than the protection afforded by Item 1 or

I'm glad that they added the window requirments. I had a house with a large open window with no screen and only 6" above the floor off of a deck that connected to a pool. there where little kids playing just inside the window. All I could do was suggest to the parents to put some kind of barrior on the window.

The 2015 IRC now requires swimming pools and spas to comply with the 2015 Swimming Pool and Spa Code

In PA we went from the 2009 IRC to the 2015 ISPSC There is a lot more to look at now then there was in the 2009 IRC.

New things to look at:; construction in flood hazard areas; new barrier requirements; decks around pools and spas; general design; dimensional design; equipment; circulation systems; filters; pumps and motors; return and suction fittings; skimmers; heaters; air blowers and air induction systems; water supply; sanitizing equipment; waste water disposal; lighting; ladders and recessed treads; construction tolerances, diving water envelopes, walls, offset ledges, pool floors, diving equipment, special features, circulation systems and safety features.

Looks like it will take 10 times longer to do plan reviews and inspections with the same fee.