• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Painting ceiling tiles in a public school classroom.

Kim Lauzon

I'm in New Jersey: There was a thread in June 2017 and I'd like more info on this. Some years ago I was denied permission to allow students to paint designs on a limited number of individual ceiling tiles. I was told this would alter the fire retardant properties of the tiles. I looked it up at the time and found that so long as I didn't paint more than 20% of the ceiling, it was permissible, and my principal allowed it. I now have students who are asking to paint some more of the tiles (still within 20%), but we have a new principal, and he denied the request. Unfortunately, I didn't keep a record of my previous research, and I can't seem to find the codes or regulations on this. Can anyone help?

I found it but I can’t copy and paste with an iPad. Do a search on the word ceiling in titles only by member marshal chris.

I googled the question and up popped a forum.....sorry Jeff it was a Bob Vila forum.

I found it but I can’t copy and paste with an iPad. Do a search on the word ceiling in titles only by member marshal chris.

I googled the question and up popped a forum.....sorry Jeff it was a Bob Vila forum.

Thank you for responding! I'm new to this forum - I don't completely understand your search suggestion. Search this forum? Not sure how to do that my member... Man, I googled a bunch of combinations but didn't find what I needed - for a public building?

More than likely the tiles you have are not fire retardant

If you are brave take one down. If it is retardant there should be markings on it to indicate that.

More than likely the principal does not want anymore or start a trend

Welcome