• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Panic Hardware with a Deadbolt

Yankee said:
Probably was about as fun as shutting down the free Thanksgiving feast in the church basement when I found the second exit permanently blocked.
I had to be the bad guy at my own church a couple years ago. We had started an alternative worship service in a multi-purpose space on the second floor which had two exits. The music leader had set the band up blocking the second exit. What's really frustrating is that I'm responsible for most improvements made around the church and in anticipation of this service, I had extra audio jacks installed in the opposite corner of the room that would not block the exit, but they (for reasons I never understood) didn't want to be in that corner. We ended up taping down a 5 foot wide area on the floor that the band was not allowed to use to maintain access to the exit.

the BO can allow the deadbolts if the door is posted that they remain unlocked during business hours (and they are, in fact, unlocked during business hours)..
I believe that would only apply to the "Main exit door or doors".

The BO can allow the deadbolts if the door is posted that they remain unlocked during business hours (and they are, in fact, unlocked during business hours)..
Section 1008.1.9.3(2) only applies to "key-operated locking devices." Therefore, this manual thumb-turn locking device in the OP may not meet a strict interpretation of the code.

FM William Burns said:
You should have been with me when I walked through a live nativity a few years back in Ft. Wayne...... for another time.
"Sorry Joseph and Mary, but due to code violations there's no room in the inn for you tonight. And one other thing: we can't tolerate the innkeeper bootlegging his agricultural feed shed into a sleeping occupancy; it's not in keeping with the 'chapter and verse' of the code.

Look, I know it's not very Good News for you right now, but hey, don't shoot the messenger - - I have come that you might have Life Safety, and have it abundantly."

Yikes,

Excellent and wish I would have uesd it back then. The matter related to a maze and hay with extension cords and portable clip on heat lamps. That equals ignition in short time periods and as tested personally. The church leadership received the educational public service message well as did the Ft. Wayne Prevention Bureau the following morning. I went back a year later as a spectator again and observed their proactive corrective behavior......message received and tragic potential averted. Many times people planning these types of events just don't think of the potentials but these guys learned a valuable lesson in risk management :)

Yikes said:
"Sorry Joseph and Mary, but due to code violations there's no room in the inn for you tonight.
iT'S A WONDER THE WORLD HAS SURVIVED WITHOUT ALL THESE RULES AND LAWS....

I notified the local AHJ about the fast food chain in the area mounting the new menu screens in locations where the items are now protruding objects. I almost clipped it after placing my order. I also advised the manager there of the issue. It is both ADA and Building Code violations. Waited weeks to see if anything was done and still nothing was done. No enforcement in my area. Too much Good Ole Boy Politics. Even the local TV “on you side” was not interested in bringing it to the attention of all. Law suite waiting to happen. Just when.