• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Panic hardware

CGH

I have an existing occupancy that includes a conference room with an occupant load greater than 49 requiring 2 exits and panic hardware. The means of egress path from the conference room leads to the occupancy entry door to a corridor that leads to the exit stairway. Is panic hardware required on all door in the exit access from the conference room to the exit stair? Is there a section in the 2020 BCNYS that supports your interpretation?

How Many occupants are going through "that" door?

Assuming you have multiple doors... Not all occupants will travel through "that" door....

CGH,

Generally speaking, my understanding is that doors serving those occupants, including those doors along the path of egress, will require panic hardware.

In my experience, 303.1.2 small assembly spaces is often overlooked. You might double check that panic is required at all. If your assembly space is less than 50 occupants OR under 750 SF, it is allowed to be considered Group B or classified as part of the principal occupancy. My understanding is that panic Hardware is only required in Group H Occupancies or Group A or E serving occupant loads of 50 or more as well as certain electrical rooms.

First, as others have pointed out, ensure the occupant load is indeed over 49 or the space is greater than 750 sq. ft. For conference rooms, I always use the unconcentrated assembly load factor.

Since the occupant load is greater than 49, it must be at least 50, and Section 1010.1.10 states in part, "...swinging doors serving rooms or spaces with an occupant load of 50 or more in a Group A or E occupancy, shall not be provided with a latch or lock other than panic hardware or fire exit hardware."

A conference room with an occupant load of 50 or more is, in my opinion, a Group A-3. (I know I will get some pushback on this, but Section 303.1 states assembly occupancies are "...for the gathering of persons for purposes such as civic, social, or religious functions..."--it does not state "limited to." However, it could be argued that meetings, even business meetings, are social.)

The two means of egress pathways are definitely serving a room with an "occupant load of 50 or more." Since they use the plural "doors," all doors along that pathway must be either panic hardware or fire exit devices.

CGH,

Generally speaking, my understanding is that doors serving those occupants, including those doors along the path of egress, will require panic hardware.

In my experience, 303.1.2 small assembly spaces is often overlooked. You might double check that panic is required at all. If your assembly space is less than 50 occupants OR under 750 SF, it is allowed to be considered Group B or classified as part of the principal occupancy. My understanding is that panic Hardware is only required in Group H Occupancies or Group A or E serving occupant loads of 50 or more as well as certain electrical rooms.
Yes, thanks for your reply. The occupant load of the conference room is 62. The 2018 IBC commentary for §1010.1.10 states - Swinging doors that are part of a means of egress from the locations listed in this section shall not be provided with a latch or lock other than panic hardware or fire exit hardware....... Would the doors between the conference doors and the exit stairway be considered "part of a means of egress?" Thus requiring panic hardware on these doors as well. Thoughts?

Yes, thanks for your reply. The occupant load of the conference room is 62. The 2018 IBC commentary for §1010.1.10 states - Swinging doors that are part of a means of egress from the locations listed in this section shall not be provided with a latch or lock other than panic hardware or fire exit hardware....... Would the doors between the conference doors and the exit stairway be considered "part of a means of egress?" Thus requiring panic hardware on these doors as well. Thoughts?
In my interpretation, yes. The basic purpose for panic hardware is that the door will open when/if people pile up against it. Because of the density of occupants in assembly spaces, that possibility is much more likely. Once those individuals are out of the assembly space, they have to go somewhere. Even though there may be other egress pathways - in my mind there is no guarantee that they won't all follow the same pathway which presents the same likelihood that they could again "pile up" at the other doors on their way to the exit discharge. Including panic on all doors within the egress pathway all the way to the discharge makes sense to me.

2015 IBC
MEANS OF EGRESS. A continuous and unobstructed path
of vertical and horizontal egress travel from any occupied
portion of a building or structure to a public way
. A means of
egress consists of three separate and distinct parts: the exit
access, the exit and the exit discharge.