• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Parking exemption for small sites

"for every 6 spaces, one must be van accessible" as meaning a handicap space is not required until you hit 6 spaces....5 or fewer are exempt.
I was in Fl in the 90's when ADA became law and we interpreted right or wrong that the 1st space was with a 5 ft access aisle if you had less than 6 spaces. Never where the 1st 5 spaces exempt from accessible parking requirements.
I still believe that is the intent of the language requiring van accessible parking. Lots with 5 or fewer space are only required a 5 ft access aisle for the 1st handicap parking space, 6 or more parking spaces require the 1st parking space be van accessible with the 8 ft aisle. IMHO. However our zoning code requires the 1st space be a van accessible space so my opinion or the IBC and ADA do not matter here with regards to van accessible spaces.
Does the local zoning code address van accessible spaces where this project is located?

Thanks Mark. Just to follow up, the current table is the same as the 2004...even earlier. So even though the table has not changed, the interpretation has? And if I have 5 spaces, does that mean the accessible space does not need to be van accessible since it is fewer than 6?

Only if you are not remodeling it and no space was provided.

One thing that was throwing me off was 11B-208.2.4 "for every 6 spaces, one must be van accessible" ....the 6 spaces they are referring to are accessible spaces...not regular spaces....that's what was confusing me. So for every 6 accessible spaces, a van space must be provided. So going back to the chart, if I had 201 parking spaces, 7 accessible spaces would be required, then 2 would have to be van accessible per 11b-208.2.4.
mtlogcabin, I agree, but back "in the day" the CA access board told me (on one of my own jobs) that my project of 4 parking spaces would not need an accessible space until I hit 6...this was in 95. That was the interpretation back then and is why I commented on this.

I agree, but back "in the day" the CA access board told me (on one of my own jobs) that my project of 4 parking spaces would not need an accessible space until I hit 6...this was in 95. That was the interpretation back then and is why I commented on this.
Codes and interpretations chance,

2019 CBC 11B-208.2.4 Van Parking Spaces
For every six or fraction of six parking spaces required by Section 11B-208.2 to comply with Section 11B-502, at least one shall be a van parking space complying with Section 11B-502.

2010 table indicates 1 accessible space required for lots with 1 - 25 spaces, was this the same for ADAAG?