• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Partition walls

codenut

Heres one for thought.... Commercial business multi-story, previous desigination as seismic design catagory B (I know this changed but just to give you a basis to work from) under the IBC 2006 can the interior walls be secured to the grid of the drop ceiling? Why or Why not?

Re: Partition walls

codenut - Lots of looks, but no answers... methinks your question is, shall we say, poorly worded? It sounds like you are asking if the drop ceiling can be used to stabilize the top of a partition wall. I don't think that's what you're asking though...

ahh yeah actually that IS what they are proposing

I'm trying to find the code section that prohibits it.

1607.13 Interior walls and partitions.

Interior walls and partitions that exceed 6 feet (1829 mm) in height, including their finish materials, shall have adequate strength to resist the loads to which they are subjected but not less than a horizontal load of 5 psf (0.240 kN/m2).

Is the ceiling designed to resist the additional loads.

The answer is NO is a seismic "D". I don't know about your zone. Time for an engineer :?:

I read through that one but I'm having a little bit of trouble hanging my hat on it.

I'm thinking going to the grid manufacture and seeing if they allow for it? :?

yeah i know, both siesmic catagories C and D cuts that out. thats why I threw in I was in B.

One source might be the ASTM C 635, 636. I don't have a copy, but that might have a note on it. I recall a case where they did that in a previous jurisdiction that was a D2. It was definately not allowed there.

You might also see what the grid manufacturer says about it. Obvously the walls need bracing, and does the grid manufacturer allow their ceiling to be used for this? I doubt they would, regardless the zone.

I believe there is a ceiling and tile association out there as well that might give some help.

Except, let them provide the information from the ceiling grid manufacturer . . . . .

Oh yeah I dont know the manufacture of that.... although it seems as per ASCE-7 (which is referenced in chapter 16) as long as they are 9 feet tall or less, its permitted?