• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Pass Through Junction Box Accessibility

jar546

Forum Coordinator
The EC seems to think that because this junction box is a pass through and does not have connections, it does not have to be accessible.

I believe NEC 314.29 says different. Chris Kennedy seems to agree. What do you think?
IMG_2601.jpeg

314.29 Boxes, Conduit Bodies, and Handhole Enclosures to Be Accessible.
Boxes, conduit bodies, and handhole enclosures shall be installed so that wiring contained in them can berendered accessible in accordance with 314.29(A) and (B).

(A) In Buildings and Other Structures. Boxes and conduit bodies shall be installed so the contained wiring can be accessed without removing any part of the building or structure.

(B) Underground. Underground boxes and handhole enclosures shall be installed so they are accessible without excavating sidewalks, paving, earth, or other substance that is to be used to establish the finished grade.

Exception: Listed boxes and handhole enclosures shall be permitted where covered by gravel, light aggregate, or non-cohesive granulated soil if their location is effectively identified and accessible for excavation.

314.29 Boxes, Conduit Bodies, and Handhole Enclosures to Be Accessible.
Boxes, conduit bodies, and handhole enclosures shall be installed so that wiring contained in them can berendered accessible in accordance with 314.29(A) and (B).

(A) In Buildings and Other Structures. Boxes and conduit bodies shall be installed so the contained wiring can be accessed without removing any part of the building or structure.

(B) Underground. Underground boxes and handhole enclosures shall be installed so they are accessible without excavating sidewalks, paving, earth, or other substance that is to be used to establish the finished grade.

Exception: Listed boxes and handhole enclosures shall be permitted where covered by gravel, light aggregate, or non-cohesive granulated soil if their location is effectively identified and accessible for excavation.
OK. I posted the NEC section and you showed it but did not answer the question.

The EC seems to think that because this junction box is a pass through and does not have connections, it does not have to be accessible.

I believe NEC 314.29 says different. Chris Kennedy seems to agree. What do you think?
You are correct, I re-read that section earlier today. It could just be there to break up sections of conduit to make it easier to pull, rather than a junction box, but it still needs to be accessible.

Isn't it clear? 314.29 covers all "boxes". The picture shows a box. QED.

Cheers, Wayne
Yes it is very clear. I am not a fan of posting the code verbiage in general with no interpretation opinion. We have had many, many, many, many discussions where no one could agree on a code section even though we were all reading the same thing. I prefer an opinion to accompany a code section.

So question, is this not what these are made for?

View attachment 10861 View attachment 10862
Yes, absolutely one of the uses for those.
The question is to whether or not the customer who spent $1.2M on a condo then another $180K to renovate it and pick out very specific recessed fixtures in their ceiling wants a plastic access panel solely because the electrician was trying to save money on home runs and not use as much MC cable.

The other questions is, how does the electrician and inspector remember there is suppose to be an access panel after the gypsum is up? What system does the building department use? No one is saying you can't do it, I'm just saying there has to be a plan and the access panel should be shown on the plans.

Yes, absolutely one of the uses for those.
The question is to whether or not the customer who spent $1.2M on a condo then another $180K to renovate it and pick out very specific recessed fixtures in their ceiling wants a plastic access panel solely because the electrician was trying to save money on home runs and not use as much MC cable.

The other questions is, how does the electrician and inspector remember there is suppose to be an access panel after the gypsum is up? What system does the building department use? No one is saying you can't do it, I'm just saying there has to be a plan and the access panel should be shown on the plans.
Agree, with the plan noting access point, but is there a recessed light under the box or within reach on the plan.

Check the average day thread. The oversize washers and KO plugs tell you that the electrician likes to recycle material. I didn't want to drift your educational thread. Besides that you'd ask for a code section if I posted it here.

Last edited: