• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Patio Cover and footings

"Common Sense, or the pragmatic point of view of the common people as it was known in Medieval times, does in fact exist. It is the most practical and pragmatic way of looking at a problem/solution without it becoming complex. In other words, the simpler solution which makes sense and works over the complex solution which often fails. When people say that a person doesn't have common sense, they are really saying that person is thinking too hard or making something more difficult than it should be".

And

Common sense is one of those attributes that separate us from other animals. It’s a gift to us, as man, that allows us to “feel” the difference between what really makes sense from what we may deem to be intellectually sound.

In other words, I find common sense to be a higher form of instinct. All animals have instinct that allows them to, among other things, sense danger. Animals cannot “talk themselves” out of responding with instinct. They can be distracted and may miss the signs. That’s why some get eaten and some do not. But instinct is their gift in order to survive.

Common sense is our gift and we seldom use it correctly. That’s the problem when you are also blessed with intellect. Intellect can be a valuable tool for man, but it can also be a distraction that interferes with our instincts.

Man, if they allow themselves to be open to it, can “feel” when things make sense or when they don’t. We need to allow our instincts to kick in from time to time before we lose that attribute for good by over intellectualizing everything.

I’m afraid that many of our political leaders are in danger of doing just that.

They have become so entrenched with their personal or political agendas and are too comfortable with rhetoric in lieu of meaningful dialogue that they are losing the ability to “feel” the difference.

My family deserves the credit for instilling in me the need to really understand the value of common sense. They made sure that I used it whenever I had an important decision to make.

It not only taught me how to rationalize my life and the things around me, but taught me to trust my gut when events around me were sending mixed signals. You would be amazed how powerful your gut can actually be. When you have to fight with yourself to do otherwise, you may be over thinking the situation.

As I pointed out, I believe we all have that ability. It’s part of our nature. If we are honest with ourselves, we are well aware of this gift and can apply it to just about everything we do in life that has a right and wrong option.

Everything you experience in life becomes part of a cumulative experience that makes you the person you are. Sometimes, we try to intellectually counter those feelings and experiences in order to accomplish something that we want to do, even though we know it differs from our subjective feelings, our gut.

Going back to our childhood, we had such a limited core of experiences that we could easily misjudge things and make wrong decisions because of it. That’s why we had parents and guardians. We were way too dangerous to manage ourselves.

As competent adults (and I use that term loosely), we need to fine tune that inner pool of knowledge and understanding known as “common sense”, apply it to our current concerns and see where it takes us.

Believe it or not, those in charge of the big stuff may not really know more than you. Sure, they should have more information at their fingertips to assist them, but using that information correctly is another matter. When you hear people in power over-intellectualizing the issues, they may be simply trying to justify their intentions and convince you that their words are more powerful than your gut.

Throughout this book you will find in larger and bolder print a series of CS moments intended to get you to think about what you really feel. They are simple phrases that just make a point.

So come along with me on this journey. You may learn a lot about how our country should be run and a lot more about yourself as well.

http://www.commonsenseinamerica.net/excerpt.php

Can you rely on the common sense of the future building inspection staff years from now when a different home owner has the patio enclosed with wood frame then in the future with another change of owner or staff adds a second story thinking there's a footer? It almost happened several times in my short career.

An 80 yr. old house has a sagging floor with no settlement evident and was having an addition; contractor discovers the existing footing consist of 4 courses of bricks; our frost depth is 18"

How would you know if the footing is not there when it should be?

How does anyone know what is the supporting foundation is in an 80 year old structure?

Unless some one has personal knowledge similar to what TBZ had in his OP you don't.

mtlogcabin said:
How does anyone know what is the supporting foundation is in an 80 year old structure?Unless some one has personal knowledge similar to what TBZ had in his OP you don't.
True but the next person may not be of TBZ caliber or have the building staff with your diligence.

miss my point that unless it can be documented for limited use on the co for example; it may be considered constructed in compliance to the current code.

The example with picture sets the stage of why new construction or reconstruction should have the footing instead of justifying how the existing building works without one; it could be 18 years old; it doesn't matter.

The next owner should not bear the cost unless it is disclosed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Francis Vineyard said:
Can you rely on the common sense of the future building inspection staff years from now when a different home owner has the patio enclosed with wood frame then in the future with another change of owner or staff adds a second story thinking there's a footer? It almost happened several times in my short career.An 80 yr. old house has a sagging floor with no settlement evident and was having an addition; contractor discovers the existing footing consist of 4 courses of bricks; our frost depth is 18"

This is why we keep records. Permit application comes in to close it in, just have a look at the records and deny it.

tmurray said:
This is why we keep records. Permit application comes in to close it in, just have a look at the records and deny it.
Thanks for that reminder, but not all localities are required to which is why I suggested a permanent record such as the co.