• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Pergola

rosegamble

Hello all!

I'm working on a coffee shop renovation. The code is 2021 IBC/EBC.

I am trying to figure out if there are any requirements for a pergola in the adjacent patio. It won't have a solid roof (just slats, like a trellis). It will be structurally independent of the main building.

I found IBC 3105 which addresses awnings and canopies, but IBC 202 defines a canopy as something covered. Really scratching my head here.

Thanks!

It's a structure.

[A] 101.2 Scope. The provisions of this code shall apply to the
construction, alteration, relocation, enlargement, replacement,
repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location, maintenance,
removal and demolition of every building or structure or any
appurtenances connected or attached to such buildings or
structures.

I found IBC 3105 which addresses awnings and canopies, but IBC 202 defines a canopy as something covered. Really scratching my head here.
What would keep someone from covering it?
looks like a good section to start from.

Zoning would
What would keep someone from covering it?
looks like a good section to start from.
Zoning would keep someone from covering it! It has open slats for a "roof" because lot coverage is maxed out from a zoning perspective. The zoning official will allow an open roof structure.

That's interesting on the zoning perspective, we have a 30% rule on residential, I just rain into that here where the code listed decks but not a concrete patio. I thought that was a bit odd. Our commercial zones list a different percentage of coverage.

Oh well.

When I’ve done these out in California, the lack of a solid roof cover really simplifies code compliance, because now smoke cannot accumulate underneath it if there’s a fire. Basically the building code considers it to have no floor area. It’s just a structure. Your main issues will be:

- Structural engineering/stability
- If it is physically attached to / touching the main building, and the trellis is also somewhat close to other neighboring structures, you might have to check the IBC required separation from those other structures so that you are maintaining fire separation, and maybe also any firefighter access or exit paths of travel that are supposed to remain open to the sky.
- Besides the building codes, your planning department may have zoning codes about where structures are allowed to be placed on your property.