• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Permit question?

SCBO1

Platinum Member
I issued a permit to a homeowner for removing an existing garage and replacing it with a carport mainly because of cost. Now the homeowner wants the garage after the permit was issued.

Q. Would you re-issue a new permit or amend the existing permit? I will have to review some wall and header plans but leaning towards issuing a new permit, how do you handle this?

Note: Copies of permits are provided to the county assessor. Wouldn't want them to double access!

Increase for the extra walls which will include one being a bearing wall with header.

Fee for amend permit if minor changes, fee for new permit substantially different. Assessor should be base assessment ont actual construction not plans. If a permit issued and work is not done there should be not increased assessment for an improvement not consummated

We would just amend the permit if same size and placement and charge fee for extra cost. Not much different than when jobs have change orders, we just put in fill or/and drawings don't even bother with cost.

Was any work done under the original permit?
Yes,

Mainly demo work, two new walls and some roofing, but I could amend the permit and the County assessor can figure out that the original permit for a carport has morphed into a garage and assess accordingly!

& ~ & ~ &

IMO, ...if a new garage is being constructed, then I would
want a new permit.

PC, ...do the new plans have shear wall bracing \
wind loading attachments of the framing, etc. indicated ?

& ~ & ~ &

PC, ...do the new plans have shear wall bracing \
wind loading attachments of the framing, etc. indicated ?

north star, great question, your on the same wave link, I'll let you speculate for awhile.... Are you done speculating?

No................

They said, they over estimated the cost of the carport on the original permit and that they didn't think they needed to pay anything additional.

Typical scalawags