• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Permit required or not?

ADAguy

If code does not require retroactive barrier removal, and only barrier removal is being performed, is a permit required to do so or is it seen as maintenance?
restripe and level existing accessible parking space?

We get a permit for the accessible route...
(Amd) 105.2 Work exempt from permit.
6. Sidewalks, driveways and on-grade concrete or masonry patios not more than 30 inches (762 mm)
above adjacent grade, not requiring guards, and not over any basement or story below and which
are not part of an accessible route.

The work would not be exempt for the simple reason that it is a barrier removal. The jurisdiction might not require a permit for other reasons.

Built in 1983, in LA County, it requires resloping and a curbramp modification, no change as to number of accessible spaces, response to a driveby serial litigant.
Thank you for prompt responses.

I worked for LA County. If it is County jurisdiction it depends on the district office or contract city. Some will ask for a permit to stripe a parking lot and some won't. Some will check the slopes, some won't. I know that's not much help but that's the reality of dealing with LA County B/S.

Barrier removal is not addressed by ICC, no? independent city - La Canada - Flintridge
AHJ's call?

Barrier removal is not addressed by ICC, no? independent city - La Canada - Flintridge
AHJ's call?
Barrier removal is just words that could involve a myriad of items. LA County has territory in La Canada - Flintridge. It would be handled by the San Gabriel District Office. 626-574-0941

Since a serial litigant is involved, i would pull a permit. Because that would be one more piece of paper i could show the judge and jury to prove we corrected the horrendous infraction.