• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Permits are for the little people.

cda, You got me LOL on the received date, review date and dates in general.

Just yesterday we were talking how to make our permit application easier for the citizens to fill out. Most turn the form around and want me to do it. It's pretty intimidating, [1] Date [2] Address [3] sub-division and so on. Most of the time we have to refer back to bracket number one cuz its to complicated! I even have areas on the application that sez I'll do that section for you if you don't know.

We must be coddling them to much, I like the 2 month out permit, but we don't have the good weather like the west coast has.

I thought we did the application on about a fifth grade level, not sure if I want to provide crayons.

Once you file your application every agency starts challenging everything in their purview, the submitted plans go through agencies one at a time, the geologist sends things back, eventually I bring the soils engineer in for a meeting, new plans are submitted and when he finally signs off then it goes to the fire marshal, he always has questions and another couple of months of redesign are required, then off to zoning and they start challenging, the architect redesigns and he finally signs off, then off the the environmental department and they want site visits, when they sign off we go through a couple of more until at the end we get the big one, the structural engineer, this can take months with several conferences with the private engineer, once the structural engineer is done driving the price up as much as she can I actually had one ask:"You are really going to build this thing?" I do my own but it is common for most contractors to hire "Permit Expediters", usually former building inspectors, fees start at $10,000 and can go up from there, they know the right palms to grease, this country is corrupt from the top down, and the Clintons know that.

The game is to drag things out as long as possible in order to develop as much overtime as possible, on the front page of the paper today is an article about a janitor making $275,000 in one year, one can only imagine how much building department employees can milk the system for.

East Bay Times said:
Zhang grossed $235,000 in 2015, four times more than his base pay as a janitor. Benefits brought his total cost of employment at the rail agency to more than $270,000. And records show this isn’t the first time he raked in six-figure compensation at BART. Zhang received a combined $682,000 in pay and benefits over the last three years.¹

¹ http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2016/11/01/bart-janitor-grossed-270k-in-pay-and-benefits-last-year/

Conarb,

Sounds like your over regulated and were a bit under regulated here.

Don't forget to put a cover sheet on those TPS reports! :oops:

Most permits here for small stuff is same day maybe 2, Average home no engineering 2-5 depending on how busy we are, longer if needs engineering or changes but it's usually waiting on the customer, Commercial 1-2 weeks depending other departments or changes.

Had a sign for the hospital the other day they sent a picture and the app. emailed the applicant same day tell them what was needed. 3 weeks later hospital calls asking why we haven't issued the permit told them still haven't received draws or engineering. Next day received drawings and issued the permit. The design company FORGOT to send. Mayor calls asking what the hold up was the same day, I explained and he was ok. If the hospital would have contacted their people first wouldn't have took so long but they still tried to put it on us. :mad:

Conarb
Come on up I can show you places to build where the only permit and inspection you will have is an electrical if he shows up and a septic tank installation

Come to my town and you will get a permit for an SFR in about 10 working days and you will have 10 to 15 inspections depending on the design.

Best of all your Hummer will be right at home and even useful during certain times of the year.

th

Reactions: cda
Conarb
Come on up I can show you places to build where the only permit and inspection you will have is an electrical if he shows up and a septic tank installation

Come to my town and you will get a permit for an SFR in about 10 working days and you will have 10 to 15 inspections depending on the design.

Best of all your Hummer will be right at home and even useful during certain times of the year.

th

Now that is a nice take home inspector vehicle !!!