• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Picnic Style Covered Pavilion Type VB A3. Open All Sides and At Grade....

Question That

Looking over IBC and not seeing any sort of exceptions that would apply to structures such as these.
Limited electrical, no doors, Open all sides, No cooking equipment (other than possibly grills), Under 300 occupant load etc etc.

Feel like I'm beating my head against the wall trying to incorporate the code into this structure.

Draftstopping/ Insulation Requirements/ egress components/ Lighting/ Fire extinguishers/ sprinkler systems etc. Really don't think much of this applies but looking for some guidance as to best way to approach and reference to any exceptions that might apply here.

Thanks!

Use Section 3105 and call it a "canopy."
Thanks RLGA. Looked that up and got excited.... until I read the "....and other applicable sections of this code" part of 3105.1. So what might be my stance that all the above I'm describing don't apply noiw that I've figured out that I can/ should classify it as a canopy?

Thanks RLGA. Looked that up and got excited.... until I read the "....and other applicable sections of this code" part of 3105.1. So what might be my stance that all the above I'm describing don't apply noiw that I've figured out that I can/ should classify it as a canopy?
I agree it's an open-ended statement, but look at it this way, if a code provision does not make sense for a canopy, then it is very likely, not applicable.

I have this section, and that phrase, in particular, on my list to submit a proposal that adds some specificity to the section. There are other sections in this chapter that use the same language that should also be addressed.

I agree it's an open-ended statement, but look at it this way, if a code provision does not make sense for a canopy, then it is very likely, not applicable.

I have this section, and that phrase, in particular, on my list to submit a proposal that adds some specificity to the section. There are other sections in this chapter that use the same language that should also be addressed.
I hear you. Hopefully you will get somewhere getting rid of grey area to the negative contained in those few words. Seems to me (as I think you are alluding to) that if it wasn't a special consideration then they wouldn't have included it in the code as a special structure in the first place. Not sure how that will fly with the building official though. Guess I'll just continue down the path I'm currently taking. Wondering now if I even reference this section that it could potentially open up a can of worms with all the stated material concerns. I mean not over sf's so don't need draftstopping, sprinklers, alarms etc anyway. Just point to those parts of the code and say egress components (other than accessibility perhaps) "don't apply".... or something along those lines.

It doesn't meet these definitions to use section 3105.

[BG] AWNING. An architectural projection that provides
weather protection, identity or decoration and is partially or
wholly supported by the building to which it is attached. An
awning is comprised of a lightweight frame structure over
which a covering is attached.

[BG] CANOPY. A permanent structure or architectural projection
of rigid construction over which a covering is attached
that provides weather protection, identity or decoration. A
canopy is permitted to be structurally independent or supported
by attachment to a building on one or more sides.

It is a building and needs to comply with anything required for a building in the IBC.

[BG] CANOPY. A permanent structure or architectural projection
of rigid construction over which a covering is attached
that provides weather protection, identity or decoration. A
canopy is permitted to be structurally independent or supported
by attachment to a building on one or more sides.
Refer to bold parts. Plus, picnic “pavilions,” or whatever you want to call them (in the southwest we call them “ramadas”), are “of rigid construction over which a covering is attached.” There are no provisions that describe or limit the “rigid construction” or the “covering,” except those prescribed in 3105.3. All that section does is allow fabric coverings or other limited combustible materials to be used in the construction of a canopy.

Nowhere in the definition of “canopy” or in Section 3105 does it state that a canopy is accessory to a building. It is implied under the “awning” definition that it is accessory to a building, since it is a “projection” that is ”supported by the building.” A canopy can be attached to a building on one or several sides, but is not required to be attached.

Things that are missing in the code (for canopies only):
  • What are the area limitations?
    • If accessory to a building, are they included in the allowable area for the construction type of the building?
    • If stand-alone structures, are they included in the allowable area for the construction type of the building or do they have their own construction type classification (reference Section 3102.3 for membrane structures)?
  • If using a fabric covering, when does a canopy become a membrane structure subject to Section 3102 as a “membrane-covered frame structure”?
  • What are the height limitations?
    • If accessory to a building, are they limited to ground-level installations or can they be used on upper stories?
  • How does fire separation distance work as a stand-alone structure or when attached to a building?
  • If covering a building egress door, are they part of the exit discharge or is the exit (and travel distance measurement) at the termination of the canopy?
If these are intended to only be installations accessory to a building, then Section 3105.1 (or the definition for “canopy”) should explicitly state that.

Last edited:
Canopy also has "architectural projection"......Otherwise we could call everything a canopy and apply minimal code to it...I agree that there needs to be some limits and clarification here, maybe "pavillions" find their way to A5?

The provisions of Chapter 31 are to be considered as additional requirements to those contained elsewhere in the code. These provisions may alter the general requirements found in other locations but are only applicable to the specific element regulated therein. For example, the provisions for temporary construction regulate how the structure is to be built, but do not address means of egress. As such, the provisions of Chapter 10 are applicable.

The criteria in this chapter are straightforward and, in turn, lend themselves to straightforward enforcement.

1675708509782.png

The Commentary, as we all know, is not code. The illustration shows only one type of canopy--they do not show an example of a "structurally independent" canopy.

I agree this was the intent when originally included in the code, but the provisions fall short of narrowing the scope to this type of installation.

The authority is given to the building official to modify the code for a specific reason the code would be impractical to require or meet. IMHO this is a perfect example for the use of this section. Trouble is most of today's Building Official's are to chicken s_it to even consider using this section.
It is basically a pole barn with very limited combustible materials and unlimited exits and no chance of smoke accumulation if there was something to burn.

[A] 104.10 Modifications.
Where there are practical difficulties involved in carrying out the provisions of this code, the building official shall have the authority to grant modifications for individual cases, upon application of the owner or the owner’s authorized agent, provided that the building official shall first find that special individual reason makes the strict letter of this code impractical, the modification is in compliance with the intent and purpose of this code and that such modification does not lessen health, accessibility, life and fire safety or structural requirements. The details of action granting modifications shall be recorded and entered in the files of the department of building safety.

Draftstopping/ Insulation Requirements/ egress components/ Lighting/ Fire extinguishers/ sprinkler systems etc. Really don't think much of this applies but looking for some guidance as to best way to approach and reference to any exceptions that might apply here.
If it is concealed combustible, draftstopping applies. If it is heated, energy code/ insulation applies. Egress applies (so therefore maybe lighting (1008 maybe?)), but if it is open, shouldn't be an issue....Which just leaves sprinklers and if it has a roof then it has a fire area, so applies.....

As MT says...You may have the ability to flex this in your jurisdiction, but be informed when you do....And you are here, which means you want to be informed... :)

The definition of canopy could describe any kind of building. But I will go with steveray.

The authority is given to the building official to modify the code for a specific reason the code would be impractical to require or meet. IMHO this is a perfect example for the use of this section. Trouble is most of today's Building Official's are to chicken s_it to even consider using this section.
It is basically a pole barn with very limited combustible materials and unlimited exits and no chance of smoke accumulation if there was something to burn.

[A] 104.10 Modifications.
Where there are practical difficulties involved in carrying out the provisions of this code, the building official shall have the authority to grant modifications for individual cases, upon application of the owner or the owner’s authorized agent, provided that the building official shall first find that special individual reason makes the strict letter of this code impractical, the modification is in compliance with the intent and purpose of this code and that such modification does not lessen health, accessibility, life and fire safety or structural requirements. The details of action granting modifications shall be recorded and entered in the files of the department of building safety.
We don't use chapter 1 in PA, don't know about FL. PA code does not let us do this.