• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Pipe discharge sizing & Tie-In Question

So, generally all pump systems I have installed have been engineered by someone else, and I just install per plans. Now I'm up against the task of designing a system and have run into some questions. You're supposed to double your GPM taken off of the 'performance curve' graph of the pump specs to get your DFU. The smallest pump I can find @ my head height is 22 GPM, and there is no 4" available. (Possibly over 120' and down 5 stories, but that's not financially an option for them)

By UPC code then this is impossible? At 44 DFU I could technically tie into a verticle 3" line if there was 4 or less other DFU already discharging into it, but that's not available.

My only thinking is to discharge up to my 8', run horizontally the 120', turn into 3" and run down the 5 stories, tie into 4". If they do decide to continue with this plan, I could not have any offsets in that 3" line beyond a 45 degree fitting correct? Also anyone know of any limitation to how far you can run the 2" horizontally. There will be no room for grade. I know it can be run flat, but not sure if there is a cap to that distance.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas I'm not thinking of.

MechanicalPiper,

Are you looking for a san. sewer line large enough to handle your calc`d dfu's,

or looking for any san. sewer line to be able to cheaply dispose of the dfu's?

"shall not decrease the size of the drain in the direction of flow" thingy (RE:

8" into a 3" into a 4"). Also, what about pressure testing of this "new" line,

..cleanouts, ..access to any cleanouts, ..are you still using cast iron?