• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Pipe up

ICE

Oh Well
22532611184_414d6b43b5_h.jpg

Through the pool.

23161103245_0d3b02f2be_b.jpg

Was in the middle.

22766904107_94fd737003_b.jpg

They couldn't tell me what the pipes are connected to or could possibly convey. So they blew money blowing foam. Now I don't know about you guys but rather than take a chance, when I encounter this, and this is the third or fifth time, I ask for a welded cap. I know that sounds like overkill but hey now it could prove to be a problem otherwise.

There's also a pair of these. I was the inspector when the house was built ten tears ago and I remember that the building sewer ran through the back yard. I was wondering about that on the drive over to do the inspection. The contractor told me that the sewer was relocated by others before he started the pool.

22534058503_9d28357266_b.jpg

Last edited:
"Hey, but that's were I want to put my pool!" sheesh

Had one two years ago, basement excavation, cut off a 8" pipe, they claimed it was an abandoned irrigation line, rained the next day, 3' of water filled the hole. Took them months to figure it out and cap it at the source.

Reactions: ICE
& = & = &

In the last pic., there are 3 concrete pavers setting right
on top of the pvc piping........Also, ...has anyone performed a
pressure test on the drain piping yet ?

& = & = &

north star said:
& = & = &In the last pic., there are 3 concrete pavers setting right

on top of the pvc piping........Also, ...has anyone performed a

pressure test on the drain piping yet ?

& = & = &
The pipe is not regulated by the code other than how it interacts with the steel. There is the two drain requirement but no test is required.

Last edited by a moderator:
& : &

" There is the two drain requirement but no test is required."
Do you use the CPC on Swimming Pools, [ RE: Section 103.5.1 & 103.5.1.3,
`13 CPC:Testing of water supply systems & testing of plumbing drainage systems ] ?

If no tests of the pvc piping; going under that concrete, is required,
...how does one know if the plumbing fittings are sealed, or if the

piping doesn't have a hairline crack in it somewhere ? :eek:

& : &

101.2 Scope. The provisions of this code shall apply to theerection, installation, alteration, repair, relocation, replacement,

addition to, use, or maintenance of plumbing systems

within this jurisdiction.
Plumbing System. Includes all potable water, building supply,and distribution pipes; all plumbing fixtures and traps;

all drainage and vent pipes; and all building drains and buildsewers,

including their respective joints and connections,

devices, receptors, and appurtenances within the property

lines of the premises and shall include potable water piping,

potable water treating or using equipment, medical gas and

medical vacuum systems, liquid and fuel gas piping, and

water heaters and vents for same.
Swimming pool piping is not regulated by our code. It is considered to be process piping. The water in pool piping is not potable. It is similar to the pipe one would find in a soup factory. If it has potable water we regulate it. If it is full of soup, we don't.

The approved plans state that the drain pipe located at the bottom of the pool shall not be in contact with gunite. The plans always have that. I ask for a trench and at least two inches of sand cover.

First inspection:

36851824162_1131c7dc68_b.jpg

Second inspection:
The drain pipe has been lowered and covered. The horizontal pipe that was against the steel has been rerouted in a trench behind the pool shell.

There is an abandoned septic tank that was cut. It shows as a section view in the dirt wall of the excavation. It also shows the drain pipe that has been buried. It's too bad that I was wrong about that.

36250908404_73c49b7686_b.jpg

The detail shows the drain pipe well away from the pool shell. It states that the pipe shall not encroach into the shell. Today the engineer of record explained that the term "shell" is that measure of thickness that is required. It matters not that the pipe is enclosed in gunite as long as the pipe does not displace any of the required shell. So I have been getting it wrong for a long time.

36944969631_1d5aceeb6f_b.jpg

Last edited:
I was completely wrong about the drain pipe. As long as the pipe does not encroach into the REQUIRED shell it can be exposed and in contact with the concrete. So if the shell must be eight inches thick the pipe can be just about anywhere as long as the bottom of the pool is eight inches thick above the pipe. I have also been assured that pipe in contact with steel is not a problem worth correcting.

This education came from ther engineering company that has a Standard Plan that is used almost universally here in SoCal. I sent them this picture while I was performing the inspection. My question had to do with the pipe in contact with the re-bar. With the engineer on the phone looking at what I was seeing he said that there is no problem. I also asked about the pipes paralleled in the spa wall and that was also not considered a structural mistake.

27450536518_17798b3538_b.jpg

The impression I get from talking with the company is that swimming pools are way overbuilt.

Oh and the whole thing does lean but when it gets shotcrete it will be okay.

Last edited:
As long as the pipe does not encroach into the REQUIRED shell it can be exposed and in contact with the concrete.

Well, if that's what the engineer wants, they should change the note on the drawing. That is not how I would read that note and drawing, unless there is some definition of "gunite shell" that doesn't show up in your photo.