• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Placement of Generator automatic switch.

JohnM

I will be installing the automatic switch box for a new generator. It will be mounted outside, near an outside corner of the house. How close to the corner can it be mounted?

( ~ ~ ~ )

JohnM, ...Welcome to the Building Codes Forum ! :)

Where is your exterior electrical panel mounted ?
Typically, the automatic transfer switch should
[ ideally ] be installed \ mounted close to the ext.
electrical panel, so as to minimize costs.

Please clarify !

( ~ ~ ~ )

Sounds like we’re missing part of the story. Is the building inspector telling you it can’t be visible from the street or driveway?

The generater tranfer switch is usually near the POCO meter socket, not aware of any distance from corner of a house however you may not be able to put the TS within 3-ft of a gas meter?

Hi Guys,
Sorry for the long delay. I've watched tons of videos of professional installations and read the code for equipment installation. I am moving the service entrance from its current location on the side of the house, around the corner to the rear of the house (and adding the switch). Should be an easy(ish) move as the distance to the inside subpanel will not change. There is a window on the rear of the house 4' from the corner. I am going to mount the meter socket/disconnect above the switch. Then mount the new load center next to the switch. I wasn't sure if there was going to be room between the window and corner, but it seems I do have enough room without a code violation.
Just pulled the permit this afternoon and will start work on it this weekend.

Was finally able to get an electrician out to the house. Decided to use the original service drop and meter socket. The rules have changed and installing a new sock requires 12' from the ground for the head. That would require guy wires and shimming and...

Was finally able to get an electrician out to the house. Decided to use the original service drop and meter socket. The rules have changed and installing a new sock requires 12' from the ground for the head. That would require guy wires and shimming and...
Is that local requirement?