• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Plain Concrete Foundation Walls (Stem Walls) - Connection to Footings

benny

Bronze Member
I've been requiring a possitive connection between footings and stem walls which usually isn't an issue with contractors that provide vertical reinforcement. However, in my area vertical reinforcement is not required for the standard 2' tall stem wall per Table R404.1.2(2). I have a contractor that is challenging my plan review red line requiring doweling or a keyway between the stem wall and footing. At this point I can only offer it up as a "suggestion" due to the lack of a code reference. Any suggestions/comments?

Baring a code provision you may not be in a position to require anything. I personally consider concrete walls without reinforcing to be an abomination.

Is it a shallow foundation footing?

Are you in a seismically active area or do you have bad soils or some other reason why you think that the footing may not work with out the key or connection?

Perhaps frost depth may be an issue if the footing is not a part of the foundation system. Maybe and its a big maybe that I would not use, if the footing is not apart of the wall you can tell the builder to continue the foundation wall below the frost depth like jar seems to think is required. He may think the key or connection is the better option.

Mostly I think that you may be on thin ice with the red line.

Oh yeah I just noticed that this is your first post and that you have been a member since 2010, nice to hear from you benny.

It is a standard footing for our area (24" frost depth, seismic design category C) and the soils are not a concern. My concern is based on past experience with concrete cold joints. I agree, thin ice on the red line if the contractor or developer pushes back.

Benny Welcome and try this for food for thought to support your position

R403.1.6 Foundation anchorage.

Sill plates and walls supported directly on continuous foundations shall be anchored to the foundation in accordance with this section.

This would include the foundation/stem walls

Wood sole plates at all exterior walls on monolithic slabs, wood sole plates of braced wall panels at building interiors on monolithic slabs and all wood sill plates shall be anchored to the foundation with anchor bolts spaced a maximum of 6 feet (1829 mm) on center. Bolts shall be at least 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) in diameter and shall extend a minimum of 7 inches (178 mm) into concrete or grouted cells of concrete masonry units. A nut and washer shall be tightened on each anchor bolt. There shall be a minimum of two bolts per plate section with one bolt located not more than 12 inches (305 mm) or less than seven bolt diameters from each end of the plate section. Interior bearing wall sole plates on monolithic slab foundation that are not part of a braced wall panel shall be positively anchored with approved fasteners. Sill plates and sole plates shall be protected against decay and termites where required by Sections R317 and R318. Cold-formed steel framing systems shall be fastened to wood sill plates or anchored directly to the foundation as required in Section R505.3.1 or R603.3.1.

Exceptions:

1. Foundation anchorage, spaced as required to provide equivalent anchorage to 1/2-inch-diameter (12.7 mm) anchor bolts.

This would allow rebar in lieu of an anchor bolt to provide a positive connection between the foundation and the footer. Most will say this section is referencing the walls of the home. However how many require backfill on the interior of the foundation walls to reduce displacement in a seimic event or exterior pressures on the foundation wall?