• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Plan Review, The Balancing Act

I think that is possible, but that depends on the job size and if it even has specs and shop drawings. I think that all of us who are code administrators know that the level of information on the drawing will vary based on the size and complexity of the job. Specs are almost always submitted at the same time as the drawings, and they get reviewed at the same time. Shop drawings, however, are often deferred submittals and don't get reviewed until the permit is issued and the job is well underway.

Worse, shop drawings are often NOT treated a deferred submittals. They are processed by the architect and returned to the contractor with no notice to or involvement by the building official.

The code requires that the building official grant approval for deferred submittals. If the construction documents don't include a list of "Deferred Submittals," then IMHO deferred submittals are not approved, and substitutions made under the guise of shop drawings are deviations.

I don't think so. SFRs are another animal and almost completely reliant on the inspectors in the field after a basic review of the drawings. This thread was not started based on a SFR.

If specifications which address the issue are provided here is no need to provide the information also on the drawings. By expecting everything on the drawings you are encouraging the contractor not to look in the specifications which can create other problems for the Owner and his consultants.
We sometimes ask for items to be placed on the drawings because it is the guy in the field (worker) who does not have access to the spec book who will need direction on how to build it.

We sometimes ask for items to be placed on the drawings because it is the guy in the field (worker) who does not have access to the spec book who will need direction on how to build it.

This is not your job. Focus on code compliance of the construction documents. The design professional instructs the contractor to comply with both the specifications and the drawings.

You are encouraging the contractor not to look at the specifications.

If it is not on the plans the guy/gal in the field will more than likely not have been made aware of a specific requirement within the spec book.
Exactly. The more light shone on a requirement, the better the outcome. Plans should be geared towards the lowest common denominator. I have always figured that the plans are the easiest part of any project. There's plenty of paper in the world... use it.

On most professional commercial projects we see the following:

• All of the RDP prepared drawings, such as the A, C, S, LS, M, E, and P pages, etc, etc.
  • Spec book
  • Submittals such as equipment & shop drawings
This is what you get as a minimum for a project. All of it is required in order to do the inspections in the field.

When I did inspections for a school district, their spec book was just as big as the code book. I was inspecting to the code and the spec book. It was mandatory that we know the specs for the different disciplines involved.

However, with a small commercial job or residential SFR construction, you are lucky to get half decent drawings.

If you have a good contractor, with a good relationship with the RDP their team, that, along with ProCore is invaluable, especially if the AJH has access to ProCore. Here is a small example of what is on ProCore: (click on the link to expand it)
Screen Shot 2024-01-03 at 18.43.33.png

These claims that everything should be on the drawings creates problems and suggests that the plan checkers are lazy.

On a good set of documents information should be shown only once. Does this assume there is no place for specifications.

When something in the specifications is also duplicated on the drawings it will inevitably be stated slightly different. This greatly increases the likelihood of confusion and change orders.

Is it the intention to encourage the contractor not to pay attentions to the specifications?

These claims that everything should be on the drawings creates problems and suggests that the plan checkers are lazy.

On a good set of documents information should be shown only once. Does this assume there is no place for specifications.

When something in the specifications is also duplicated on the drawings it will inevitably be stated slightly different. This greatly increases the likelihood of confusion and change orders.

Is it the intention to encourage the contractor not to pay attentions to the specifications?
Maybe you don't work small commercial jobs that don't have a spec book or even shop drawings. I think these are the majority of the commercial projects. Larger projects such as new buildings will, of course, have a spec book and shop drawings which should be reviewed and kept on the job site.

I have worked on the small as well as the large.

The statements promoting that all the information be on the drawings do not make it clear that they only apply to small projects.

While I have worked on small projects without specifications I have also seen small projects with a full project manual.

See my comments in red below.

Soap box time.

I occasionally get responses from DPs such as "No one has ever asked for that to be on the prints before" or "Why do you need that information on the drawings". I try to clarify as much as possible during plan review so that there are less problems during the construction and inspection process. I cannot assume that the contractors know all of the code requirements. Some contractors can reasonable be expected to know more code as part of their licensure, including electrical, plumbing, fire sprinkler, and elevator contractors.

Whenever I try to "dumb down" the plan review process because we get resistance from the DP's for having to make changes and complaints from the contractors for holding up the job, it always seems to end up causing problems in the end anyway. It always seems like a no win situation no matter which way you go. The DP did not think it was necessary to put it on the drawings and now that it is not, the contractor's excuse for not doing it was that "it was not on the drawings, how was I suppose to know?"

Now for some examples:

Electrical drawings were crude and basic for a psychologist's office that was converted from a SFR. The drawings showed some receptacle, light, emergency lights, switches, etc and said the installation was to be installed to "code". Since it was a relatively easy gut and rewire, I figured any competent electrician would do it right. I figured the inspections would be good enough on the fly. On a project that small, that is a reasonable expectation. Surprise to me when I got there for the rough wire and found the entire job wired in NM cable including all exposed runs in the basement, attic and above drop ceilings. The outcome was not pretty as you could imagine. I should have held my ground and required more specific information on the prints. On a project that small, "install to code" should have been adequate. The problem lies with the quality of the owner-contractor team not with your initial assumption, IMO.

Not showing the vertical grab bar on the drawings is another one. If you don't show it then how does the contractor know he has to install it and will they know enough to add the blocking? This has happened more than once. A standard detail is a reasonable request. The DP could simply copy/parrot the code language or illustration.

Not showing tactile exit signs on the drawings. Sorry, I need to see them because I am tired of failing for this at finals. Yeah, we need that kind of detail. It could be described via notes. The failure of the contractor to look at notes is their problem, not yours.

Not providing a list of special inspections. We need that list so that we know what paperwork to expect. How hard can that be to provide that list? If none are required then please state so ON THE DRAWINGS. Agreed, all required special inspections should always be listed on the plans.

Why fight me because I am asking for details on a scupper? There are specs for this in the IPC you know. Already had this issue where they were too small after the EDPM was in place. Not a good time to find out. Providing scupper dimensions is a reasonable requirement, just like providing drain pipe size is appropriate.

How about that load calculation for the electrical service that you are specifying? I like your detailed panel schedule but there is an actual method for load calc. Guess what? We need that too. Agreed.

I required path of travel, exit access to be shown on the drawings. Most provide this without asking although I have found a few to fudge their numbers when I took a real good look at them. And if you are going to show that, start from inside the offices or inside the apartments not at the door to the office or apartment. Agreed; the only exception would be where the building is obviously so small that it doesn't even come close to maximum CPET.

Not specifying what codes and code cycle apply. I need that on the drawings. Agreed.

We required a door and hardware schedule, a window schedule and a fixture schedule with specs and or model numbers. I just had a submission for illuminated exit signs that did not meet the IECC and was a part number that had been discontinued 3 years ago by Emergi-Lite. Disagree regarding model number or proprietary components. The plans ought to be able to demonstrate the code compliance. If proprietary components must be shown, then the AHJ should allow this phrase on the plans: "Proprietary products are shown solely for the purpose of establishing code compliance, and are not intended to limit alternative products which will be allowed on an equivalent basis of demonstrating code compliance".

This is just a small example of common items that are often overlooked/not provided.

Thoughts?

Half the time, contractors don't follow drawings anyway.

I just came back from an inspection. School building, ventilation renovation. Ventilation runs through the first floor, up to the second and then the roof. Required a fire separation for a vertical service space.

Original contractor ran f/r drywall to the T-bar ceiling, leaving a three-foot interface between the vertical service space and a concealed horizontal space.

Back in September, I wrote em up, told 'em to follow the plans, call when fixed.

Today, I was called for the re-inspection. The lower part was still open to the universe. The first guy was .... no longer involved. (I didn't ask if they were moved to somewhere where screwups would affect fewer lives, or had been provided options to explore other forms of employment. I didn't care, either.) I asked the new guy if they had seen the plans.

"Yeah, I got a copy somewhere. I just didn't know I had to do both floors."
"Did the plan show both floors?
"<crickets>"

The thing is, buddy had fire-stopped the penetration of the public corridor wall leading to the vertical service space. Anybody with a clue would have figured out that something was wrong .... if they had read the inspection report, and more importantly, if they had read the plans.

They'd never read the plans.

Where I worked a re-inspection fee wasn't allowed until the third time it happened, It would apply to no-shows and not completing a correction. The counter started over with each new project. If the recipient of the fee complained to a manager, the fee was waived. I seldom levied the fee. Several managers required that the inspector get a manager's permission to levy the fee. That ended the practice in their jurisdiction.

This is not your job. Focus on code compliance of the construction documents. The design professional instructs the contractor to comply with both the specifications and the drawings.

Yes, agreereviewers should focus on the code compliance. Personal beliefs /feelings do not belong in a contract unless required for code compliance. Permit reviewrs should not use the permit review to assume liability for the changes to the contract design professionals have sealed.

Consider a contractor that only looks at the drawings. He will not be aware of the requirements in the specifications which he has not complied with. So when this non-compliance is identified after the project is completed the Owner will likely sue the contractor.

So while the building department inspector may not have a problem the Owner and the Contractor will have a problem. Building officials need to recognize that the construction documents deal with more than building code issues.

On most medium to large projects specs are provided. If not I may require them if there is information I need that should be in a specification. On most, the spec books are between 1,000 and 2,000 pages. I identify and book mark the information I think I will need, usually before I start looking at the plans, then do it again as I review the plans. For most of the information I think I need to determine code compliance, if it is in the specs but not on the plans I simply make note of it. Sometimes, a violation occurs in the field that prompts my re-involvement where the contractor or inspector says the info wasn't on the plan. I point them to the spec book, which typically neither entity has seen. I often find inconsistencies between the specs and the plans.

However, some information I do request to be on the plans. Doors and hardware are an example of this. I always check the specs, and review them for code and plan consistency, and will make comments that point to the specs in that case. Occasionally I get resistance when I ask for information to be duplicated on the plans. My response is that if they really don't want to, I can't make them, but that when the inspector needs to verify something and can't because nobody on sight has access to, or is willing to look through a 1,000 page book to find the answer, the job may be delayed until someone finds the information. So far, in every case the DP provides the information, even if it is just pasting the spec pages onto a blank page. It only takes them a few seconds nowadays.

For most things, I let the specs stand, but for issues I think will cause that type of situation I encourage some information to be put on the plans.

In my entire career I can't recall any inspector, or the contractor that is on site for the inspection having access to the specs in the field. A few times I might see them in the job trailer, covered in dust. And even if the specs were available, having the time or inclination to leaf through them is a luxury not available to most. So I try to make it easy on everyone by trying to get the information they need to succeed in their hands as easily as possible. I have never met continued resistance when I explain that.

Now, getting anyone to look at the plans....whole 'nother story.

Correct. The AIA A201 General Conditions states this right at the start:

1.2.1 The intent of the Contract Documents is to include all items necessary for the proper execution and completion of the Work by the Contractor. The Contract Documents are complimentary, and what is required by one shall be as binding as if required by all; performance by the Contractor shall be required only to the extent consistent with the Contract Documents and reasonably inferable from them as being necessary to produce the indicated results.

When I first started working as an architectural intern, most offices placed in the contract documents a statement on the order of precedence of documents: large scale drawing over small scale drawing, specs over drawings or drawings over specs, etc. In recent years, that seems to have shifted to a blanket policy that discrepancies are to be referred to the architect, who shall decide which takes precedence in each instance. But the specifications (if and when provided) are certainly part of the construction documents. The code requires submittal and review of the "construction documents," not "the drawings." If a plan reviewer ignores the specifications, he/she isn't really doing his/her job.

I've had drawings come in for large projects where all we got were the drawings. When I called the architects, they said of course there are specifications. Called the contractor, and they tried to tell me I didn't need the specs, they just gave us the plans because that's all we need.

Nope -- that's not how it works.