• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Pole Building/Shed

randystocks

Neighbors built a VERY large pole building/carport, not attached to the front of the residence. There is approx 2' between the front of the house/garage door and this thing. So basically it was built to extend their garage out towards the street.
Besides the fact that the color he chose is BARN RED it is HUGE, approx 30x20 if not larger. And stands almost as tall as their house. It goes from the front of the house down the drive way towards the street.
I have reached out to our city but have yet to hear anything back. He did NOT get a permit for construction. He put the poles up Monday and then the roof and sides on Tuesday. What I'm trying to find out, Would you say this is in compliance with IBC or are there leg's to stand on for the removal of this "thing".
The cities code book everything says refer to the IBC's.
Thanks !
Randy

20x30 should be enough to trigger a permit... That said, depends on the local AHJ. Some areas are not much more then the wild west.

Do you live in a fairly
Neighbors built a VERY large pole building/carport, not attached to the front of the residence. There is approx 2' between the front of the house/garage door and this thing. So basically it was built to extend their garage out towards the street.
Besides the fact that the color he chose is BARN RED it is HUGE, approx 30x20 if not larger. And stands almost as tall as their house. It goes from the front of the house down the drive way towards the street.
I have reached out to our city but have yet to hear anything back. He did NOT get a permit for construction. He put the poles up Monday and then the roof and sides on Tuesday. What I'm trying to find out, Would you say this is in compliance with IBC or are there leg's to stand on for the removal of this "thing".
The cities code book everything says refer to the IBC's.
Thanks !
Randy

If this is your city, if it was me I would send an email to all depts planning, code enforcement, etc, city council, city manager, so they know you are serious

Once that is done find out in the city who you submit an open records request to, and submit the paperwork, and request a copy of ANY PERMITS, for that address, this will let you know if there is a permit, and also get more city people involved.

You may or may not get this taken down, sorry for that answer, but TRY

Thanks for the advice. I have filled out the city's request for code issues form and also included photos so hopefully that will get the ball rolling. If I've heard nothing by next week, I will continue to "shake the city tree"

& + & + &

Do you have pictures that you can submit, so that
all of us can enjoy this hideous creation ? :)

& + & + &

I believe this is more of a zoning question.

Some municipalities have setback requirement from the street called a BUILD LINE. The city sometimes have a set minimum like 20ft, some subdivisions have a 30ft BUILD LINE or more depending on the type of street. In most cases a structure is not allowed beyond the BUILD LINE towards the street.

If this is allowed by your city, you and your neighbors will get to watch in the coming years the accumulation of personal stuff referred to as junk, crap or caca in the front yard. Nip it in the bud!

Rather than fill out the form, maybe go visit the city. First try to find a plat of the property, see if it has setbacks or easements. You said he is your neighbor? Find a copy of your deed, see if there are any restrictions. My house, we had a restriction that nothing could be build in front of the front line of the house.

i wish i could figure out how to do that. the insert image wants an http: and all i have is a .jpg if anyone knows how to add it, let me know!

being a non paying supporter

You have to make it a link post the link

flckr

drop box

all that is above my forum grade

Now that you have notified the city you can relax and let the complaint run it's course. Molasses flows faster than most complaint resolutions. By your description, a permit and an engineered design is required. All but the footing is exposed so if it is allowed per a planning dept review it might remain.

Remember, this issue is not the only issue the offices' are dealing with, it takes us time to review the complaint, research the history, comply with the legal notification requirements and get back to the customer with an answer

Last edited: