• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

POLL: Testing smoke alarms

Poll: Do you test smoke and CO alarms

• yes

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • no

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

ICE

Oh Well
Do you push the button? This is not for new construction. This is for all the other permits that require smoke alarms such as service upgrades, furnace replacements etc.

Yes...although CT kind of just accidentally got on board with CO upgrades for E permits.....They hate us because "we are the only ones asking for it"....Except for maybe CC...

Not required for a furnace replacement but whenever a remodel comes in, we don't just press the button. We will have one smoke detector added, hard-wired and all inter-connected, in every bedroom, one on each floor outside of bedrooms within 15 feet and carbon monoxide detectors added one on each floor, as amended. It's a real PITA when we tell them at plan review but they wo'nt get a permit without acknowledging that they need to do this. Of course, I will always here "my contractor says it will cost $10,000" which I normally tell them to find a new contractor.

I push the button. They are normally out of reach on the ceiling - but I carry a Stanley Fatmax tape measure that is stiff enough to push the button up to about 12' off the ground. It's also got the magnetic tip... which is handy when you drop the city truck key 5' down a storm drain but the key ring is steel.

Not required for a furnace replacement
R314.2 Where required. Smoke alarms shall be provided in accordance with this section.
R314.2.1 New construction. Smoke alarms shall be provided in dwelling units.
R314.2.2 Alterations, repairs and additions. Where alterations, repairs or additions requiring a permit occur,the individual dwelling unit shall be equipped with smoke alarms located as required for new dwellings.
Exception: See Section R314.6

R314.6 Power Source.
Exceptions:
5. Smoke alarms are permitted to be solely battery operated when work is limited to the installation,alteration or repairs of plumbing or mechanical systems or the installation, alteration or repair of electrical systems which do not result in the removal of interior wall or ceiling finishes exposing the structure.

I have encountered the the interpretation of 314.2.2 that limits the smoke and CO alarm requirements to only those projects that require a building permit. The contention is that replacing a furnace is not an alteration, repair or addition.

R314.6 regulates the power source and requires that the premises utility power be used to operate smoke alarms. However, there is an exception if the work is limited to mechical, plumbing or electrical which do not result in the removal of the wall or ceiling finishes. Obviously there would not be a need for that exception if in fact the MEP only projects do not trigger the smoke alarm requirements.

The exception is repeated in section R314.4 Interconnection.

I recognize that the way I see it is bringing a requirement in the back door when it should have come in from the front. I also know what a pain in the ass it is dealing with smoke and CO alarms. Along with that is the knowledge that working smoke alarms save lives.

R314.2 Where required. Smoke alarms shall be provided in accordance with this section.
R314.2.1 New construction. Smoke alarms shall be provided in dwelling units.
R314.2.2 Alterations, repairs and additions. Where alterations, repairs or additions requiring a permit occur,the individual dwelling unit shall be equipped with smoke alarms located as required for new dwellings.
Exception: See Section R314.6
Not sure which code you have.

But mine says at 314.2.2 Exceptions: 2. Installation, alteration or repairs of plumbing or mechanical systems.

Not sure which code you have.

But mine says at 314.2.2 Exceptions: 2. Installation, alteration or repairs of plumbing or mechanical systems.
Perhaps California or LA County deleted that exception or Illinois added that exception but LA County does not have an exception #2. It seems odd that your exception #2 omits electrical work.

Last edited:
Fire department tests residential, fire and building selectively have alarm technician test fire alarm system and provide100% testing and installation certificate