• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Polyethlene storage

Inspector 102

Silver Member
Local industrial plant has asked me how much poly they can have on hand. Currently under 2006 IFC and when I read Chapter 23 my head starts to spinning rapidly. They have rolls of poly film that they wrap under their finished product for palletizing and protection. The poly wraps pallets of silicone rubber which is a Broup B plastic. The poly seems to be a Group A plastic and this is where I get lost. How much, by volume or weight is acceptable before it goes to a high hazard commodity? I am the building official and fire inspector told them to ask me. Not alot of assistance from that side, but he is new. Any guidance appreciated.

&

According to Section 2303.6 [ `06 IFC ], polyethelene is already a

high hazard.

Section 2303.6 High-hazard commodities.

High-hazard commodities are high-hazard products presenting special fire hazards

beyond those of Class I, II, III or IV.......... Group A plastics not otherwise classified

are included in this class.........Examples of high-hazard commodities include, but are

not limited to, the following:

Aerosol, Level 3 (see :Next('./icod_ifc_2006f2_28_sec001.htm')'>Chapter 28)

Alcoholic beverages, exceeding 80-percent alcohol, in bottles or cartons

Commodities of any class in plastic containers in carousel storage

Flammable solids (except solid combustible metals)

Glycol in combustible containers (50 percent or greater)

Lacquers, which dry by solvent evaporation, in metal cans or cartons

Lubricating or hydraulic fluid in plastic containers

Mattresses, foam rubber or foam plastics

Pallets and flats which are idle combustible

Paper, asphalt, rolled, horizontal storage

Paper, asphalt, rolled, vertical storage

Paper and pulp, rolled, in vertical storage which is unbanded or not

protected with an approved wrap

Pillows, foam rubber and foam plastics

Pyroxylin

Rubber tires

Vegetable oil and butter in plastic containers

&

It is the storage arrangment that determines whether additional requirements apply, not weight or volume of the commodity being stored. If they stay under 6' in height, they're fine (see definition of high-piled combustible storage). If they exceed 6' in height, see table 2306.2 for additional requirements depending on square footage of the high-piled storage area.

As stated above chap 23 is more of how to store stuff, and indirectly may limit some but not much

And as stated above if they do not above six feet they can store in a non sprinkled bldg

How much do they want to store??

Is it in a sprinkled building?

You can through the fire code ask the business to supply you with a technical report, to answer any questions you may have about the product and storage,,, from a fire protection engineer or similar expert