• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Pool and Spa Code Proposal SP14-21

Glenn

I wrote and supported a number of proposals for section 306 of the ISPSC for the 2024 edition. All but one were approved at the first hearings. I wrote a public comment for SP14-21 that I will support next Tuesday morning in Pittsburgh. I have attached the original proposal, reason statement, committee response and public comment in the two images below.

If you will be participating in the hearings or voting on the group A proposals, I welcome you to ask any questions you may have about this proposal and public comment and I will be happy to answer. My work in code development is always transparent and welcoming. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 1.06.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 1.06.11 PM.png
    617.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 1.06.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 1.06.33 PM.png
    547.9 KB · Views: 17
See you there Glenn...I get in tomorrow afternoon with some of the CT contingency and the rest come in through Sunday. I'll try and talk to all of NE folks about it, I did bring it up in one of our meetings.....I'll be there all week.

See you there Glenn...I get in tomorrow afternoon with some of the CT contingency and the rest come in through Sunday. I'll try and talk to all of NE folks about it, I did bring it up in one of our meetings.....I'll be there all week.
Awesome. I'm getting in tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon. I leave on Thurs morn.

Morning Glenn,

Hope the easterly coast is being kind to you.

I don't believe the word deck, as it is referred to commonly within the pool and spa industry has anything much to do with "wood", most "pool decks" are made of hardscape and refereed to as a deck, much like a ship has a deck. General pool industry term and my understanding, though limited is it has more to do with concrete pitching and sheading the water run, than an actual wood deck.

That group spent many years putting that specific code together and bringing it to life, as thus, I believe the committee's reason for sending you back to work with them, is how I read their comment.

Not sure if you are staying for GEN&MOE, but if you are see you the end of the week.

Regards Tom

ISPSC definition:
DECK. An area immediately adjacent to or attached to a pool
or spa that is specifically constructed or installed for sitting,
standing, or walking.

Nothing about what it's made of .
I don't know about others but I see 3 times more wood decks around pools than concrete decks. They are always for on ground pools.

I don't know about others but I see 3 times more wood decks around pools than concrete decks. They are always for on ground pools.
I can't recall having ever seen a wood deck around a pool. Concrete with or without tile is the norm.

I can't recall having ever seen a wood deck around a pool. Concrete with or without tile is the norm.
I think I did 4 or 5 raised decks around a pool this summer.

Not a ton, but they still do happen.

Ok my point was missed in translation.

Though wood decks are built around "Out of the ground pools" the vast majority of pool decks when reviewing that industry are hardscaped ground level walking surfaces which are referred to as "pool Decks".

Hence my point was the committee knows that this code was worked on by a group in its conception and that the 1/2" slopes was intended for certain surfaces and not the wood deck surfaces specifically, and was not really addressed specifically during the birth of the code, and as thus believe it should be looked at and addressed by that group in more detail before they would be good with it.

Glenn did that after the committee hearings and lists it in the public comments for the proposal, thus IMO addressed the committees original concerns and reason for turning it down.

As to were you find wood decks around pools, well that is a location thing IMO, some areas don't do a lot of in ground pools and I would venture see more out of the ground pools like Rick notes, then you have areas were out of the ground pools are not common at all and hardscape surfaces are the norm.

To me personally, Pool's are like boats, unless you live in them, they are a money pit for little enjoyment. But that is just me...

Last edited:
I once worked for an architect who designed McMansions along the coast. Most of the pools were way above ground and had wood (Ipe) decks because of FEMA flood levels.

Ok my point was missed in translation.

Though wood decks are built around "Out of the ground pools" the vast majority of pool decks when reviewing that industry are hardscaped ground level walking surfaces which are referred to as "pool Decks".

Hence my point was the committee knows that this code was worked on by a group in its conception and that the 1/2" slopes was intended for certain surfaces and not the wood deck surfaces specifically, and was not really addressed specifically during the birth of the code, and as thus believe it should be looked at and addressed by that group in more detail before they would be good with it.

Glenn did that after the committee hearings and lists it in the public comments for the proposal, thus IMO addressed the committees original concerns and reason for turning it down.

As to were you find wood decks around pools, well that is a location thing IMO, some areas don't do a lot of in ground pools and I would venture see more out of the ground pools like Rick notes, then you have areas were out of the ground pools are not common at all and hardscape surfaces are the norm.

To me personally, Pool's are like boats, unless you live in them, they are a money pit for little enjoyment. But that is just me...
I appreciate your comments, but this code and the sections we proposed were clearly in reference to elevated wood and plastic composite decking. I respect that the pool organization has worked hard on this code, but they don't know elevated decks...clearly... This is why NADRA and I are positively working to provide our experience to this code. It's not their code and we have valuable knowledge to contribute.

Really your comments reveal how little you understand of these code sections and the contributions contained in our proposals.

We got somewhere around 85% approval by the voting members at the hearings. For those making online votes, please feel free to reach out to me with any questions you may have. NADRA and my work in codes is completely transparent and welcoming to others.