• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Pool Barrier Question

coeyflyer

Was hoping someone might give clarification on a pool barrier question. We have a small yard and our driveway leads to a detached garage in backyard. We currently have a 5 foot cedar fence with a two door driveway gate at front corner of house. When gate is closed, back yard is completely enclosed.

Was wondering if anyone could clarify whether our current setup would be considered a pool barrier? The gate swings in towards backyard and does not automatically close. Gates are approx 70 ft from where pool will be installed. I can’t find a lot of information on vehicle gates so thought I would ask. During the summer the gates are always closed.

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I don’t know the code that applies in Chicago. California does not allow a two leaf gate. The gate we allow is not wider than four feet, swings away from the pool, closes and latches from any position. You got the five feet high correct.

Just a guess but the Chicago Building Safety Dept. probably has the rules at a web site. Oddly enough i don’t recall ever hearing from any forum members from Chicago.

Last edited:
Was hoping someone might give clarification on a pool barrier question. We have a small yard and our driveway leads to a detached garage in backyard. We currently have a 5 foot cedar fence with a two door driveway gate at front corner of house. When gate is closed, back yard is completely enclosed.

Was wondering if anyone could clarify whether our current setup would be considered a pool barrier? The gate swings in towards backyard and does not automatically close. Gates are approx 70 ft from where pool will be installed. I can’t find a lot of information on vehicle gates so thought I would ask. During the summer the gates are always closed.

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Your setup would not be compliant in the majority of states in the US.

Thank you for replying. Our village reference are not the greatest. They just refer to the section of building code they require and it’s up to us to figure it out from there. In this case they refer to Section 305 which does have reference to vehicle gates but no detail. From what I can decipher they do allow double gates. One just need to be secured to ground. I’ve talked to two pool installers who both think what we have is ok but it isn’t 100% in accordance to the code as it is written. Im just trying to make sure I don’t run into any issues when submitting for the permit.

I guess I was thinking it was not as you said. What if it was a pool compliant double gate (assuming I can have a double gate) that goes across driveway on back corner of house? Guess I am wondering if a gate crossing a driveway would be compliant in any circumstance. My last option would be to put a fence between pool and driveway but that will really close in our backyard. Like I said it is pretty small.

This is from the 2015 ISPSC
There is no requirement to have a gate complying with 305.3 but if you do have one it needs to comply. You may just choose the way to access the pool area is through the house
It would depend on what your inspector thinks if your double gate should go by 305.3.1 or 305.3.2. Ask you inspector.

305.3 Gates. Access gates shall comply with the requirements
of Sections 305.3.1 through 305.3.3 and shall be
equipped to accommodate a locking device. Pedestrian access
gates shall open outward away from the pool or spa, shall be
self-closing and shall have a self-latching device.

305.3.1 Utility or service gates. Gates not intended for
pedestrian use, such as utility or service gates, shall remain
locked when not in use.

305.3.2 Double or multiple gates. Double gates or multiple
gates shall have at least one leaf secured in place and
the adjacent leaf shall be secured with a self-latching
device. The gate and barrier shall not have openings larger
than 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) within 18 inches (457 mm) of the
latch release mechanism. The self-latching device shall
comply with the requirements of Section 305.3.3.

305.3.3 Latches. Where the release mechanism of the
self-latching device is located less than 54 inches (1372
mm) from grade, the release mechanism shall be located
on the pool or spa side of the gate not less than 3 inches
(76 mm) below the top of the gate, and the gate and barrier
shall not have openings greater than 1/2 inch (12.7 mm)
within 18 inches (457 mm) of the release mechanism.

May be simpler to install another interior barrier closer to the pool with a complaint gate not larger than 4' in width.

Thank you all for your advice. We were trying to avoid putting a fence and gate along driveway since we tend to use our driveway as part of our yard/entertaining area during the summer. Our property is only 50ft wide, 22ft of which is driveway in back of house. So if we are to put a fence lining driveway it will really close the space up. That is why I am trying to find any alternative to fencing in the yard but as I am finding out we may have no choice.

Thanks again for the responses.

Is there any possibility that we could put a temporary gate & fence across driveway that is in place over summer then once we close pool for winter we use a ‘barrier compliant’ pool cover and remove the fence and gate? My thought is that puts responsibility on the homeowner to actually do this and that the village/code may not like it. Any thoughts?

Is there any possibility that we could put a temporary gate & fence across driveway that is in place over summer then once we close pool for winter we use a ‘barrier compliant’ pool cover and remove the fence and gate? My thought is that puts responsibility on the homeowner to actually do this and that the village/code may not like it. Any thoughts?
Pool safety is taken extremely seriously. If you have a built-in pool, there are minimum requirements that you must adhere to. There is nothing temporary when it comes to pool safety.

You may be able to do something like this for your inspection but it will need to be secured with bolts on one end so tools are required to remove it. Again, this is for safety. You have to pay to play.

Yes I totally agree with you. Can’t tell you how many people have told me to just put a fence up and then take it down after inspection. We don’t want to do anything like this and take it very seriously. We know a fence and gate lining driveway and yard is to code. Just trying to see if we can have the best of both worlds. But as you said safety first. Thank you for your response.

My limited understanding of Chicago Pool Code is that all barriers/fence need to be a minimum of 60" in height and all gates must be self-closing.

The 2 links below is what I use for clients when preparing drawings. The first in the pool code reference link, the second if the document off the first page.

Post #6 is the basics, but Chicago is more stringent.

During the summer the gates are always closed.
305.3.1 Utility or service gates. Gates not intended for
pedestrian use, such as utility or service gates, shall remain
locked when not in use
So if your existing gates are not intended for pedestrian use and are always closed and locked then they would be considered utility or service gates.
Now can you install a pedestrian access gate that meets code in addition to what you have now within the remaining fence?

Just wanted to say thank you for all the advice and insights. Our permit was approved with an additional pool compliant gate across driveway and a pool safety cover for winter months. Even though our village accepted this they also wanted us to gate and fence stairs for entry into pool which makes about as much sense as having alarms on the second story windows since our pool is only 24” above grade. After talking to project manager he said the gate and railing were more of a recommendation but not absolutely needed.

Thank you again. Just wanted to post the information for anyone who might have the same questions as we did.

Chris