• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Pool Code Setback from property lines and buildings.

Remington

I’m trying to design a pool in our small backyard here in the city of Los Angeles and there’s not much room but would like a decent-sized pool.
  1. How close can I build to the rear and side property lines? If possible we would like to get the pool up to the 6’ high garden walls which are located at the side and rear property lines. Are we allowed to do this and is there any code that prevents this?
  2. We are noticing that the neighbor’s garages/buildings are about 3’ to 5’ away from the property lines. Does this mean the pool can't be more than 3’ to 5’ deep?
  3. How close can we get the pool to our new family room addition which we will build along with the pool? Ideally, it could be at the location of the covered patio columns or even better, located at the landing 4’ away from the window/french door so that the pool is integrated with the building structure and we could come out and just jump in. See our sketch below.
PRoPOFVGgFEHTlwID3AuikCPFM6FFgZxKipJwb2wRQItd3Tj0Aax-COH4TzRk6l8cd7pI4WlUQrTlUU3mcyWvKqEkoitGz00QZO4ic6Jw2jtSaWUnWkBWZu10fFEZ6_-a1VGCYoAkDSvLNkKQNGNWGCJpfPYYSJsWorOl_Nd5jDK6GPNACu9mngo

Thanks in advance.

Other than planning dept. setback issues, a pool can be almost anywhere on a property. It is a matter of engineering. A few years ago I inspected a property that had an indoor swimming pool on the second floor of a dwelling.

Your local building department is going to be the only source for the information you want. Local codes are where you see specifications for setbacks etc. unless you have an HOA or restrictions on the deed.

Zoning
Your local building department is going to be the only source for the information you want. Local codes are where you see specifications for setbacks etc. unless you have an HOA or restrictions on the deed.
Zoning department primarily dictates setbacks but you are correct, I have seen HOAs etc that are the governing body especially in Arizona.
11 years experience in Land Surveying including Los Angeles he needs to call the Zoning Dept.
For pools a lot of the time we completed Topographic Surveys in for pools so they could be designed from the Topographic Survey which shows infrastructure, fences, easements, elevation data, zoning, etc get a stamped PDF plus AutoCAD .dwg. But we were charging $2,400 for a Topo back in the day, I am not sure what they are charging now.

It would be in your best interest to find design professionals to guide you though this process, and a great general contractor to construct, this is not something I would recommend the less experienced undertake.

It would be in your best interest to find design professionals to guide you though this process, and a great general contractor to construct, this is not something I would recommend the less experienced undertake.
You can also build in ground DIY pools they can turn out really nice, made of blocks and can be really nice, but Cali catches you doing anything unpermitted you will be raked over the coals.

I’m asking about the setback requirements because the Los Angeles City code guidelines seem contradictory. The following is their link:

https://www.ladbs.org/docs/default-...-pools-ib-p-bc2017-014.pdf?sfvrsn=719beb53_30

On page 2, item #3a says…A pool or spa which are higher than 30 inches above ground are not permitted within the required yards for the property.
Since my pool will not be higher than 30 inches above the ground, it makes sense that I can place the pool as close to the side and rear property lines as much as possible, or even build right to the property line.

Verses

However, page 4 says:
b. Prescriptive Design: Private pools which are membrane or shell-like structures located completely in-ground, not retaining or supporting additional features above grade (e.g. waterfalls, planters and walls, etc.), and on lots not designated as hillside areas, may be designed by a California State licensed engineer or architect as follows:
i. The pool shall be located at least a distance equal to its maximum adjacent depth away from property lines or buildings.
Will the above code even apply to a pool that is not entirely in-ground? I plan to build the pool edge at 16” above ground so that the pool edge will act as a seating bench. The raised edge will also help keep the ground debris from entering the water.
If the above code applies, how is the depth accessed?
  1. From the top of the ground to the bottom structure of the pool?
  2. Or, the top edge of the pool to the bottom structure of the pool?
By the way, I already contacted the City of Los Angeles Building and Safety and Zoning. English is not my 1st language, but the people behind the counter have worse English than mine. Also, I am not wealthy enough to hire an architect.

There is a swimming pool engineering company that has been around since water was discovered in Southern California. That company has standard plans that are accepted in most jurisdictions. The plans include raised bond beams and surcharged pool walls.

I won’t give you the name in a public post but if you send me a message I will reply with a link.