• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Pool cover in lieu of a safety fence for kids?

Found it, only if access to the pool is up against and from building and the cover is electric and code compliant.

Barrier Requirements, 2012ISPSC SECTION 305.1 exception 2 Swimming pools with a powered safety cover that complies with ASTM F 1346

I am skeptical of a safety measure that relies on the diligence of a person. I have encountered only one electric pool cover....When I showed up for the inspection the pool was not covered and nobody was home. They ended up with a nice fence.

I've not ever been sold on the idea either. We very seldom get outdoor pools here, but years ago, when it was in the Code as an option, I rejected it the first (and only) time is was proposed. If we had a lot of pools, I would be leaning towards amending the allowance out.

We don't allow anything that would require interaction by a person. It's not in the codes here, but our municipal by-law requires a fence complete with latching self-closing gate. That indicates the level of expected level of care to be taken by the user as basically nothing. So required interaction above that level to make the pool safe would be an increase in hazard.

Agreed, however the exception seems to indicate if access to the pool in a fenced private yard is from the residence door, then only an alarm on the door is required and an electric pool cover.

NOTE:
All pool safety covers are supplementary pool safety aids and not a substitute for the undivided and constant supervision of an adult. Pool covers can never replace adult supervision nor can they be a guarantee against drowning or other accidents. Always replace your cover after swimming. Experts agree that multiple layers of protection offer the best protection against drowning and near drowning incidents. The most at risk are children under 5 years of age so always be extra vigilant with children in this age group.

@ Rick18071, if the house is part of the enclosure, the door alarms must be used. If the house isn't part of it, then no,

Thanks Steve.

I have a case where a contractor bootlegged a backyard pool in a hillside area with no fence. (owner installed the electric cover to protect her 5 year old.) To me the cover is an attractive nusence that kids might want to jump on. Also life expectancy due to sun and chlorine exposure can't be too long.
CSLB actually investigated! They have filed a case for revocation of license. He used a 1997 AIA contract form which was superceded in 2007 for this 2012 project. His insurance company is actually defending him at a mediation with 7 experts. Hard to believe that it wouldn't be cheaper to settle than pay all the experts (smiling).

ADAguy,
Is the pool a gunite and plaster or a rubber liner pool? Not that it matters as far as this thread goes but I am curious.
Did being in a hillside area trigger a requirement for a soils report or special steel details?

Yes,

It is a fixed in ground pool of CMU and gunite construction, exceeds 250 sq. ft. and is deeper than 24".
It is also at the toe of a descending slope held back by a 12' retaining wall, therefore adding surcharge to the wall.
City requires soils report (which wasn't done) and structural details based on report findings

fatboy, the code says where a wall of a dwelling serves as part of the barrier. If a fence encloses the entire property including the house would not the walls of the house still be considered as part of the barrier to the pool from the house (where the kids are)? Wouldn't all the doors in the house need alarms then?

fatboy, the code says where a wall of a dwelling serves as part of the barrier. If a fence encloses the entire property including the house would not the walls of the house still be considered as part of the barrier to the pool from the house (where the kids are)? Wouldn't all the doors in the house need alarms then?

Yes, sorry if my answer led elsewhere.

Any door that has direct access to the pool, would have to be alarmed.

What happens if the cover is not deployed or there is a power outage?
An occasional drowning is to be expected. That justifies having the barriers. Take away the drownings completely and people will scoff at the barrier codes. It's like car wrecks and fires....the last thing society needs is no wrecks or fires. Think of what that would cost in lost revenue for the insurance industry..

An occasional drowning is to be expected. That justifies having the barriers. Take away the drownings completely and people will scoff at the barrier codes. It's like car wrecks and fires....the last thing society needs is no wrecks or fires. Think of what that would cost in lost revenue.
As long as it is someone else's kid or Grandkid, it is acceptable....?