• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Pool safety barrier at wetlands

matatat

Pool in Southampton, NY - Uniform Code

Two sides are protected by a house and pool house, the other two are up against a heavily vegetated area and the ocean.

Can these natural elements be considered part of the pool safety barrier? Or do you need a fence in between the pool and the ocean/vegetation? In other words, does the path from the ocean to the pool need to be protected?

Can a child get to the pool "through" the natural barrier?
If yes, then no.
And you are inviting the wildlife to use the facilities

New York State has specific requirements for pool barriers, and the vegetation will be inadequate to obtain compliance. In the 2010 Residential Code of NYS go to Appendix G, if the regulated party chooses the 2015 IRC with NYS Supplement, then the requitrements are found in R326 (in the Supplement Document).
For an existing pool the 2010 Property Maintenance Code of NYS also has barrier provisions.

hmmm....interesting. Thanks for the replies. I was simplifying things a bit when I said the ocean - it's actually kind of a bay connected to the ocean, so there is no beach at the property or anything like that. The only access to the pool from the ocean would be from a private dock or from a hike through some swampy wetlands. I am assuming that a child would not be considered able to take a boat to the dock, and then get into the pool somehow?

Just had a meeting with our code consultant for the project. No matter how unrealistic the scenario may be, we still need a pool fence protecting the pool from the ocean. Thanks for all the feedback.