• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Portable spa in a commercial building

Sifu

SAWHORSE
Proposed gym has a self-contained portable spa. I thought gyms were done with these in the '80's but I guess not. Having trouble seeing how compliance with accessibility can be achieved. It sits on the floor. Have any of you seen a compliant portable self-contained spa that was made accessible? I asked in a separate post about compliance with the ISPSC ch. 5 for the ice baths, and the ANSI standard commentary only says that it is a good idea to provide them with access, so since they are clustered, I figure at most, one of the tubs (hot or cold) is the most that can be required to be accessible. I just don't see how.

My nephew is disabled, in a wheel chair 100% of the time. He has an inground pool in the back yard with an electric lift that he uses to get in & out. Maybe they plan to install one of those.

Google images wheelchair accessible spa and I think you'll find quite a few.

Better yet: dolphinstairlifts.com/hot-tub-hoists

Aside from the obvious objections the applicant may have over price, space and functionality, as far as I can tell, a lift would be questionable since the submerged depth of the seat is likely required to be lower than most tubs. I did google it, and found nothing for these types of spas, other than lifts (Dolphin included) but I'm not sure that would meet the requirements, though I think that may be their best hope. I will let them figure it out....along with all the other access comments.

, a lift would be questionable since the submerged depth of the seat is likely required to be lower than most tubs.
I have never seen him use it, but think about the lift my nephew uses. He is sitting in his chair on the pool deck (grade level concrete) and the lift is able to lower him deep enough into the pool so he can float out of the sling. So maybe i don’t understand your comment.

Per ANSI a lift has several criteria, so in order for a lift to be used in a commercial installation it must meet those criteria. One of those is that the seat of the lift must extend below the surface of the water 18". Another is the requirement for footrests. In these types of spas it may not be possible to lower the seat to the required depth due to the internal configuration and depth of the benches. I have only ever seen seat walls used for commercial hot tubs, but those tubs are built in a way that accommodates that method. I don't expect they will choose a lift due to the price and code constraints, but the other options for them are not very palatable either. I saw a video of the dolphin lift, and it worked well enough for the actors, though I was a little nervous because it looked like the lady was about to fall out of it. It may work for a residential application, but not sure it would in a commercial setting. These types of spas (store bought, fiberglass shell, self contained) don't seem to be intended for the use which they are proposing. I get the idea, they want to provide hot tub therapy, but I'm not sure this is the hot tub for that due to the access requirements that come with putting it in a health club.

I asked in a separate post about compliance with the ISPSC ch. 5 for the ice baths, and the ANSI standard commentary only says that it is a good idea to provide them with access, so since they are clustered, I figure at most, one of the tubs (hot or cold) is the most that can be required to be accessible. I just don't see how.

I disagree. Accessibility is about equal access to all facilities. If a facility provides able-bodied people with a choice of a hot soak or an ice-cold soak, they have to provide persons with disabilities the same choice. They can't provide access only to the hot tub and call it good enough.

I don't disagree with the premise, but the enforceable standard appears to be less specific. A spa is a spa, without distinction for water temperature, and only 5% of clustered spas need be accessible. I can't cite the commentary, or require good design. Even the intent here would be questionable since the commentary addresses it as "good design", rather than code.

1009.1.3 Hot tubs and spas. At least one accessible means of
entry shall be provided for hot tubs and spas. Accessible
means of entry shall comply with swimming pool lifts complying
with Section 1009.2; transfer walls complying with
Section 1009.4; or transfer systems complying with Section
Exception: Where hot tubs or spas are provided in a cluster,
no more than 5 percent, but not less than one hot tub or
spa in each cluster shall be required to comply with Section
 Hot tubs or spas can be constructed so their edges
are at grade or elevated to the height of the pool.
Options for providing entry are by pool lifts, transfer
walls or transfer systems. If there is a group of hot
tubs, then only one in each location is required to
have an entry point.
The text does not address when there may be different
types of spas, such as a cold tub and a hot tub.

These are sometimes provided associated with saunas.
Good design would provide an entry point to
both.

Per ANSI a lift has several criteria, so in order for a lift to be used in a commercial installation it must meet those criteria. One of those is that the seat of the lift must extend below the surface of the water 18". Another is the requirement for footrests. In these types of spas it may not be possible to lower the seat to the required depth due to the internal configuration and depth of the benches. I have only ever seen seat walls used for commercial hot tubs, but those tubs are built in a way that accommodates that method. I don't expect they will choose a lift due to the price and code constraints, but the other options for them are not very palatable either. I saw a video of the dolphin lift, and it worked well enough for the actors, though I was a little nervous because it looked like the lady was about to fall out of it. It may work for a residential application, but not sure it would in a commercial setting. These types of spas (store bought, fiberglass shell, self contained) don't seem to be intended for the use which they are proposing. I get the idea, they want to provide hot tub therapy, but I'm not sure this is the hot tub for that due to the access requirements that come with putting it in a health club.
Amend this by acknowledging that foot rests are not be required, which I found by reading ALL THE CODE, not just stopping where I thought I found the answer I was looking for.