• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

porte-cochère

cda

Sawhorse 123
2010 edition of NFPA 13

anyone still sprinkling non com porte-cochère, with no storage under them??????

Unless they meet the requirements of 8.15.7.2, 8.15.7.3 or 8.15.7.4 it looks like they are required to be sprinkled. The appendix basically reiterates the same language.

Noncombustible porte-cocheres w/o storage not required to be sprinklered per NFPA 8.15.7.2 and 8.15.7.5.

I still can't stand that term and just want to sprinkle it because the codes adopted the term! The one I like is the storage facilities with the large "canopy" and the unloading zones :)

Does. Someone know which edition the current language of nfpa 13 added 8.15.7.2, 8.15.7.3 8.15.7.4. With the Porte Corchere ????

I have 2002 and 2010

Never mind have the 07 also, and saw the change there

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about other editions, but the Handbook of 1999 had language similar - (just doesn't say Porte Cochere ) 5-13.8.2 and A-5-13.8.2

Short-term transient storage, such as that for delivered packages and the presence of planters, newspaper machines and so-forth, should not be considered storage or the handling of combustibles.

The handbook description specifically states Porte Cocheres at hotels and motels, and drive in windows at banks.

Last edited by a moderator:
FM William Burns said:
I still can't stand that term and just want to sprinkle it because the codes adopted the term!
California doesn't like the term either. They ammended those sections to remove Porte Cochere.

RBK said:
California doesn't like the term either. They ammended those sections to remove Porte Cochere.
I would think as a matter of design principle, porte cocheres, or carriage porches, should cost more than covered drives, car ports and canopies on name alone, and historically will have expensive sounding occupied spaces above like a patio, terrace or veranda.