1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Portland Street lights go LED

Discussion in 'Green / Leed' started by jeffc, May 30, 2013.

1. jeffc

jeffc Bronze Member

2. Coug Dad

Coug Dad Platinum Member

They installed some of those here. The problem is that the LED's do not generate enough heat to melt the snow and ice in the winter so the lights get blocked.

3. jeffc

jeffc Bronze Member

I hear that is the case with traffic lights as well. Also, if you buy LED lights, I would recommend that they are certified by an independent organization like Lighting Design Lab or Lighting Design Consortium. Many LED products don’t have the stated light output or don’t last as long as they state.

4. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

It seems wrong that we light all the streets in all of the cities all night long for a few people. They should all be on motion sensors like our front porches.

5. fatboy

fatboy Administrator

That would be awesome........@ at Coug Dad..........that would be a problem here.

Glad to see you back.

6. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

There is a big movement to do this all over the country for the past 2 years. There are programs through some POCOs that rebate municipalities for doing so. I never thought about the snow issue but how can the snow accumulate on the bottom?

7. globe trekker

globe trekker Sawhorse

Freezing rain can leave a sheet over the lens, and be a cooler surface upon which more humiditycan collect (i.e. - snow / ice crystals).

8. conarb

conarb Sawhorse

Roger Pielke is a well known climate scientist, usually on the side of the environmentalists.

¹ The Unholy Alliance between Philips and the Greens – A Guest Weblog by Joost van Kasteren and Henk Tennekes | Climate Science: Roger Pielke Sr.

9. jeffc

jeffc Bronze Member

Conarb, The article you referred to has many opinions expressed but is short on facts. For facts, Wikipedia is a good start, "Incandescent bulbs are much less efficient than most other types of lighting; most incandescent bulbs convert less than 5% of the energy they use into visible light[1] (with the remaining energy being converted into heat). The luminous efficacy of a typical incandescent bulb is 16 lumens per watt, compared to the 60 lm/W of a compact fluorescent bulb." I could reference several people to confirm that energy efficient lights are cost effective but I think discussion should transcend opinions and be a fact based. The lamps do have mercury but if you are an area that generates electricity from coal, you are releasing more mercury into the atmosphere from burning the extra coal to power the less efficient lamp than what is contained in the lamp (Are Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs Dangerous?: Scientific American). The article mentions that incandescent lights are 100% efficient. Sure the heat can used to heat the building but what if you are in an area that needs air conditioning? These lamps would put an addition load on the A/C system.

10. conarb

conarb Sawhorse

I can't find a Canadian study that I saw about 10 years ago, the study concluded in cold climates like most of Canada incandescents were a better choice than CFLs since all energy is expended as light or heat, the heat offsetting heating costs.

Another thing that I've always wondered about was someetime in the 70s they added strings of lights to the Bay Bridge to make it look pretty, Oakland also added lights encircling Lale Merritt in the center of the city. After this whole environmental craze started and they required that the citizenry convert to CFLs the Bay Bridge and Lake Merritt continued to burn brightly, I lived above the Bay and had a view of San Francisco that included the pretty lights. We have now built a new half of the Bay Bridge replete with a full complement of LED lights, in fact a lighting artiest has

for a few years to attract tourists and presumably fill the government coffers.

11. Anna Sanders

Anna Sanders Registered User

Are they using Dynamo for these baby lights?

12. tmurray

tmurray Sawhorse

I know this is an old post...

The study you are referring to was completed by the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (crown corp owned by the federal government). CMHC owns a pair of test houses that sit side by side and are identical. They put incandescents in one building and ran CFLs in the other building. after one calender year, and extrapolating out for the lifespan of a CFL bulb, it indicated a savings of $1 for the life of a CFL bulb. That's assuming they last as long as they are supposed to. Which they don't because people are supposed to wear gloves when they are installing them to avoid leaving oil on the bulb and creating a hot spot.

I don't know that they repeated the study with LED bulbs.

jeffc likes this.