• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Possible Baltimore Forum for us???

Re: Possible Baltimore Forum for us???

That's ok; I post another one; on the same page. :)

"ICC Censorship

After many years of providing an open forum for Code Officials, Architects, Engineers, Builders, Contractors and the General Public to Openly Discuss and share information about the I-Codes; the ICC has Shut Down it's Bulletin Board; and replaced it with a "Pay for Entry" group of "Communities"; open only to "paid members"; that are extremely hard to navigate, and, all attempts for open discussion are censored and removed, by the ICC.

The ICC gave a five day notice to close the open Bulletin Board on a Thursday; and closed the board on Saturday night; which meant that "there was really ONLY A ONE DAY notice". Many believe that this was to disperse the Bulletin Board users; so they would lose contact with each other; and prevent them from meeting and voiceing their objection to the closing.

Thousands of invlauable posts, sharing code information and answering code questions from Architects, Engineers, Builders, Contractors and the General Public; that were available to visitors of the Bulletin Board; were lost.

The ICC's attempt to censor the members of the bulletin board, by removing it; was irresponsible. The loss of the thousands of informative posts have been lost; and the ICC has lost a valuable asset.

There action will come at a greater expense that the cost of the Bulletin Board. They have lost the trust of many knowledgeable and dedicated Building Officials, Inspectors, Architects, Engineers, Contractors, other professionals and professional organizations who shared their time, and knowledge with each other and the public on the Bulletin Board.

Many of the members took immediate action; and formed another Bulletin Board, and contacting many of the ICC BB members. The new Bulletin Board will take time, private donations, and a lot of work; and although without the lost posts, it will be years before it is as helpfull and productive as the old BB; it will prevail and it will survive.

Will this be the Legacy of the "New ICC"? To opress free association and sharing of knowledge of the I-codes?

Shame on you!

Uncle Bob"

And I signed it.

Ya'll can disown me later. The nice thing about being retired is; I don't have to worry about my boss coming in and asking me "What the H*** were you thinking"?

Uncle Bob

And, another posting on the ICC "Community" under Building.

You can't get into most of the communities; because there is no "enter discussion" button on them.

Uncle Bob

Bobby:

It's still there and I responded to it with suggestions about things like the HTML language for the webmaster.

I just checked the new ICC BB. Pretty sad :cry: ... I copied their opening page with the 'communities' , active members / active topics:

Accessibility

10 / 4

Architectural Building Science

7 / 1

Builders Contractors

7 / 2

Building

12 / 6

Chapters & Regions

5 / 1

Code Administration

9 / 2

Electrical

4 / 1

Energy

6 / 0

Engineering Building Science

7 / 1

Fire

9 / 4

Green

6 / 3

Plumbing, Mechanical & Fuel Gas

5 / 1

Residential Occupancies

6 / 3

93 total members? For a site that boasted over 10,000 prior to the 'change'? :eek:

29 active 'discussions'? Seriously? :roll:

We must be onto something here... MORE members, MORE active topics. If you had any doubts about 'our' future these numbers should remove them. :D

But, just out of curiosity, does anyone have any Code questions? :)

And 99% of the topics where started by ICC employees who haven't come back to participate in there own posts.

:idea: I bet if they let little b.o. back on they would have incresed activity on all communities :lol: :p

I think he probably has a wealth of knowledge he could share if he would just stop the info-commercials. I would give him a trial run or his own forum ;)

rjj -

While I certainly can understand the knee-jerk reaction, I don't think anyone should be pre-emptively barred from participation. That opens an unsavory door to the type of elitism that is costing ICC our participation in their new board.

I know that some posts are like traffic accidents - you don't want to look, but can't help yourself. And some posters tend to go overboard with their responses. But you can just choose to not read their posts.

Besides, what if he's actually onto something?

John,

Those numbers you posted conserning their site activity. They are fake numbers; that ICC posted when they first opened the new site; go to "Builders and Contractors" community. They state that they have 7 Active members, 2 new members in the last week;, and 2 Active Discussions.

They have no active discussions and you can't post there.

Uncle Bob

I agree with JD

RE: The desire to join the BB. Besides the moderators can politely point him/her in the right direction if the infomercials begin :D

Here it is in part:

Form the ICC:

As part of ICC’s commitment to continually improvement, we would like to hear your feedback on the new Communities of Interest. To facilitate discussion we have set aside time at our Annual Conference for interested members to tell us what changes and improvements would recommend making to the COI’s. The Communities are built on a SharePoint platform, which has incredible potential for users to define an environment that is productive for the important networking that takes place.

Please join us for an open forum at:

2009 International Code Council Annual Conference and Code Development Hearing Code Development Hearings

Communities of Interest Forum

November 1

Baltimore Convention Center

Room: 309

Time: 9:30

This post does not reflect the views or official position of this jurisdiction. No animals were slaughtered while making this post. We just had lunch. Side effects from the reading of this post include but are not limited to: coughing, gagging, hearing loss, warts, eye fatigue, shingles, numbness in extremities, loss of appetite, flat tires, leaking rain gutters, divorce, job loss, hurricanes, earth quakes and tornados.

I have been emailing back & forth with the ICC for the last week & half on this issue. Look ladies & gents, I REALLY want to be at that meeting. But is is just not possible. I grew up in Maryland. Haven't seen my mom and dad in over a year. Haven't seen my brother and sister in 3 years. I have a nephew that I have never seen. Not to mention uncles, aunts, nieces, nephews, in laws, and yes even my mother in law. Actually I really love my mother in law. No jokes please! Well, maybe one or two?

I'am one of those "trouble makers" Uncle Bob mentioned. I really want to be there but my whole family has set up a dinner and more for me and my companions from Wyoming.

Sunday November 1st is the only day I can see them. So, family first. My Dad is 78 years old and in reasonability good health but you never know and I love and respect him more than you will ever know. I'm not passing on seeing him for ANY meeting.

Hope you all understand. I would just ask that if any of you that are able to attend would give me a up-date.

Thanks, JP

Post Script: Paul, Thanks for the post. I tell you this, after what all has happened I don't think that I can trust the icc? Once burned twice shy. And to repeat a preivious post, "if the icc does not pull their heads out of the dark by the spring of 2010 I WILL petition the Wyoming Council of Building Officials to resign all association with the icc". This would mean no chapter in the entire state. I talked to my Code Official today about this. (He has been out the last 2 weeks) He supports this position. Want to take bets? Which will be the first entire state to suceed? Time will tell.