• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Posting Occupant Load to Avoid Panic Hardware

Understand

Like I said seems like they need to reevaluate the entire exiting scheme

it really depends on the whole use of the building. If these are accessory uses to the building as a whole (only used by the occupants) exiting through adjacent rooms is not a big deal due to occupant familiarity. If people are coming in off the street, then no, I really don't want to see them exiting through adjacent spaces.

it really depends on the whole use of the building. If these are accessory uses to the building as a whole (only used by the occupants) exiting through adjacent rooms is not a big deal due to occupant familiarity. If people are coming in off the street, then no, I really don't want to see them exiting through adjacent spaces.

I'm not positive, but I think these spaces are limited to residents and their guests. But the building is at least 8 stories so there could be quite a few people.

I'm not positive, but I think these spaces are limited to residents and their guests. But the building is at least 8 stories so there could be quite a few people.
That helps reduce how discoverable the exits need to be. In those situations usually exit signage does not have to be as explicit and you can have some more complicated paths of travel to reach them. Doors still need to open in the right direction though.

It sounds like no one would be enforcing the limited occupant load for this area. In this case I would reject their request to sign a lower occupant load that the density method.

1014.2 Egress through intervening spaces. Egress through intervening spaces shall comply with this section.
1. Egress from a room or space shall not pass through adjoining or intervening rooms or areas, except where such adjoining rooms or areas and the area served are
accessory to one or the other, are not a Group H occupancy and provide a discernible path of egress travel to an exit.

I could possibly buy that the lounge and terrace are accessory, but fitness would be a harder sell.....Unless they wheel some bikes or treadmills out there at times...

The "discernable path" I usually leave up to the FM if he wants anything special.

It sounds like no one would be enforcing the limited occupant load for this area. In this case I would reject their request to sign a lower occupant load that the density method.

That's a good point. You're right - I'm pretty sure this area won't be staffed so there's noone to limit the occupant load.

I could possibly buy that the lounge and terrace are accessory, but fitness would be a harder sell.....Unless they wheel some bikes or treadmills out there at times...
The "discernable path" I usually leave up to the FM if he wants anything special.

I agree - I don't think the terrace should be exiting through fitness, and I'm guessing they will want to secure the fitness room so equipment doesn't disappear.