• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Potassium Hydroxide

Thinking further on this subject, if it is a part 3 building, it would still need to follow the requirements for dangerous goods in Part 3, unless it is in the exempted category in the Act, which is a very small amount (30ml). This would just be below the threshold for the requirements in the Fire Code.

If it is a Part 9 building, there are no requirements though. How weird is that?
I'm thinking that the line of thinking would be that if the material meets the test of being a dangerous good it would automatically make the *room* subject to Part 3.

So this is how I handled it FYI...

TDG regulations show potassium hydroxide as packing group 2.

Because the amount being stored (under 1000kg) is under the maximum exempt amount shown on table 3.2.7.1 of the BC Fire Code, no special requirements are required through either the building or fire codes (such as 2hr fire separation).

However, the MSDS provided by the supplier has specific engineering controls, including a lockable space and mechanical ventilation.

As the business is located in a Pt3 building, I am requiring that the proponent engage an architect to design a room/closet for the product that will comply with the engineering controls.