• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Precast Walls

docgj

Silver Member
Superior is now requiring load calcs on their beam pockets. Was just told by a contractor that a local third party inspector is doing the calcs for all of them. How can he do that without an engineering degree? Precast walls are an engineered product. He is charging a substantial fee for doing this.

docgj

Who does the calculations is not as important as who signs off on the calculations.

I guess I will be asking for a copy of the calcs to see who is signing off on them.

docgj

The ES report for the walls show that their beam pockets (with exceptions) are good for 13,000 lbs I believe.....are they backing off from this?

not the inspector's job.. it's the manufacturer and plan reviewer. I'd question it if the beam pockets specified aren't what's delivered; if they bring 4" walls instead of 10" walls, etc.. that's what an inspector needs to tend to.

Load Calc

I just had walls put in and my architect sent them all the load points; beam pockets, lally columns, and wall loading. They seem nice but have I a few issues with them and they tend to say oh, that it is not so bad. Beam pockets were too deep. They said add a extra piece of syp but that doesn't have the compression strength of the 4 ply LVL that is resting on top. They filled the pockets with hydrolic cement. I shouldn't have to tell them how to fix their walls!! Wall are out 3/4 ", oh it is not that bad. Told the tech there are no holes for threadred rod to hold floor slab to bond beam, tech said use rebar!!! I guess he never read the instruction book from his company. Every panel has a third party inspection sticker but after researching this I found out Superior puts these stickers on themselves. Like the fox in charge of the hen house!!