• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Privatizing / Contract Inspections

I think it was just under 100K a year. We don't get any overtime, just time off in lieu of time worked and our pension is 50% employer 50% employee supported. We do have fairly respectable health benefits, but since we have single payer health care, this is not an enormous cost like it would be there.
Ours doesn't sound like it's that much but just look at the totals in the post above, appears that with high paid employees pension and healthcare can run $200,000 per year, isn't any wonder these systems are going bankrupt nationwide? Even in a conservative state like Texas cops and firemen are taking early retirement cashouts to try to take the money and run before the whole thing collapses. So my question is how much are yours total?

I have done both. IMO, on the inspection level, there isn't much difference. The same level of education, experience and competence exists among inspectors as it does anywhere, meaning some are better than others at any given time. I have seen differences in how the managers/building officials operate, though even there it depends on the character of the individual. Basically, I think that for-profit companies may be a little more inclined to "compromise" on some levels than non-profit. I like compromise, but not based on whether they are in contract negotiations. At times, for-profits may be slightly more inclined to put "sales" over safety.
On the other hand, a private company will generally have far less waste, and even though they are non-profit, there is plenty of budgeting and finance games being played in a gov't. A private company is more inclined to invest back into itself and its services, so they can be better at what they do, while a gov't. may be more inclined to invest those dollars in ramps to nowhere (clever reference to another post!).
All in all, I think they both have pro's and con's, and the quality of each is determined by the individuals. I do think a private can be an awful good asset to a small community without a lot of resources.