• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

"Process piping" Vs. water distribution or service?

steveray

SAWHORSE
I have a new industrial building wanting to use PE pipe for their deionized water system. I cant find any standard of manufacture on the piping...Table 605.4 deals with water distribution and there is no PE allowed. In 605.3, for water service, it would have to meet ASTM D2239 or 2737. Is there a code path to allow this? As long as there is backflow between the potable and "process" side, I don't see why not, but I would like a little more of a backup than that...Thanks!

Try the Mechanical Code. The specific 'process' or application will determine the appropriate chapter (for example Chapter 12 does include some PE products). The scope of the Plumbing Code and definition of 'plumbing' tells me you're in the wrong book. ;)

Which bolsters my argument of "should I even care?" as long as the potable water is protected...It does run to some sinks and equipment so it is plumbing, just separate from the normal building components..

Reactions: JBI
PLUMBING. The practice, materials and fixtures utilized in the installation, maintenance, extension and alteration of all piping, fixtures, plumbing appliances and plumbing appurtenances, within or adjacent to any structure, in connection with sanitary drainage or storm drainage facilities; venting systems; and public or private water supply systems. (emphasis added)