• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Public Toilets required?

Dr. J said:
Sorry guys. My prescription refill came in and I feel better now.I suppose I was reading too much into Mark's responses (and remembering the "let anyone in" posters on the I Gotta Pee thread). I do see that most people on this thread are using the word "Public" as "non-employee", rather than "unwashed masses".

And yes, I will admit to a bit of conspiratorial thinking that the the gubmint is trying to pry the bathroom key out of my cold dead hand (when bathroom keys are outlawed ...).

Dr J,

Bathroom keys are outlawed already, more than one operation to open the door and may required tight pinching, grasping or twisting of the wrist; so as long as your not tight grasping or twisting anything else

Jim B said:
Dr J, Bathroom keys are outlawed already, more than one operation to open the door and may required tight pinching, grasping or twisting of the wrist; so as long as your not tight grasping or twisting anything else
How about the dressing rooms that an employee has to unlock so you may enter. Keyed access is not "outlawed", there might be a conflict with other portions of the code as you mentioned but there are alternatives such as electronic access restriction.

mtlogcabin said:
How about the dressing rooms that an employee has to unlock so you may enter. Keyed access is not "outlawed", there might be a conflict with other portions of the code as you mentioned but there are alternatives such as electronic access restriction.
Dressing and changing rooms shall be accessible and reasonable accommodations shall be made for employees, but employee areasare not the same as public restrooms, which is the thread content

Mark

I was refering to the dressing rooms in a merchantile where an employee has to unlock the dressing room door to provide access. I have seen multi story office buildings where a reader card was needed for access to the restrooms.

Some restroom doors in our office building have keypads requiring a code to unlock the doors.

Inspected a camp where they they keep youths that have been in trouble. They where doing alterations, mostly to the rest rooms. Rest rooms are not labeled. Not accesable either. In fact nothing is accessable . There are all boys and only men employees. The code on separate sex rest rooms don't work to good here. I guess they will have to go to an appeals board..

Rick18071,

What's going to happen when a female relative (mom, aunt, sister, cousin) comes to pick up

the troubled youths and they have to go to the restroom, ..or a handicapped female relative?

Rick18071 said:
Inspected a camp where they they keep youths that have been in trouble. They where doing alterations, mostly to the rest rooms. Rest rooms are not labeled. Not accesable either. In fact nothing is accessable . There are all boys and only men employees. The code on separate sex rest rooms don't work to good here. I guess they will have to go to an appeals board..
Or you can just use the code and make a determination

Exception: The total occupant load shall not be required to be divided in half where approved statistical data indicate a distribution of the sexes of other than 50 percent of each sex.

Require at least one for female visitors and you should be compliant

I get that if a restroom is required to the public, it must be accessible. But can someone please tell me the actual code section that says each business must have a restroom located within the business? Thanks

I get that if a restroom is required to the public, it must be accessible. But can someone please tell me the actual code section that says each business must have a restroom located within the business? Thanks

2021 IBC [P] 2902.1 Minimum Number of Fixtures

Plumbing fixtures shall be provided in the minimum number as shown in Table 2902.1 based on the actual use of the building or space. Uses not shown in Table 2902.1 shall be considered individually by the code official. The number of occupants shall be determined by this code.

and

2021 IBC [P] 2902.3 Employee and Public Toilet Facilities

For structures and tenant spaces intended for public utilization, customers, patrons and visitors shall be provided with public toilet facilities. Employees associated with structures and tenant spaces shall be provided with toilet facilities. The number of plumbing fixtures located within the required toilet facilities shall be provided in accordance with Section 2902 for all users. Employee toilet facilities shall be either separate or combined employee and public toilet facilities.
Exception:
Public toilet facilities shall not be required for:
  1. Parking garages where operated without parking attendants.
  2. Structures and tenant spaces intended for quick transactions, including takeout, pickup and drop-off, having a public access area less than or equal to 300 square feet (28 m2).

2021 IBC [P] 2902.1 Minimum Number of Fixtures

Plumbing fixtures shall be provided in the minimum number as shown in Table 2902.1 based on the actual use of the building or space. Uses not shown in Table 2902.1 shall be considered individually by the code official. The number of occupants shall be determined by this code.

and

2021 IBC [P] 2902.3 Employee and Public Toilet Facilities

For structures and tenant spaces intended for public utilization, customers, patrons and visitors shall be provided with public toilet facilities. Employees associated with structures and tenant spaces shall be provided with toilet facilities. The number of plumbing fixtures located within the required toilet facilities shall be provided in accordance with Section 2902 for all users. Employee toilet facilities shall be either separate or combined employee and public toilet facilities.
Exception:
Public toilet facilities shall not be required for:
  1. Parking garages where operated without parking attendants.
  2. Structures and tenant spaces intended for quick transactions, including takeout, pickup and drop-off, having a public access area less than or equal to 300 square feet (28 m2).
Thank you so much. So, '..shall be provided with public toilet facilities' means they have to have the bathroom within the tenant space itself? I am working with a customer who wants to put a business in an old building and it doesn't have an accessible bathroom. It is very small business, 600 sf. Is it ok to have access to a restroom within a common area of the building that is shared with other businesses?

Thank you so much. So, '..shall be provided with public toilet facilities' means they have to have the bathroom within the tenant space itself? I am working with a customer who wants to put a business in an old building and it doesn't have an accessible bathroom. It is very small business, 600 sf. Is it ok to have access to a restroom within a common area of the building that is shared with other businesses?
Yes. That can be done if it complies with the following.

2021 IBC [P] 2902.3.1 Access

The route to the public toilet facilities required by Section 2902.3 shall not pass through kitchens, storage rooms or closets. Access to the required facilities shall be from within the building or from the exterior of the building. The public shall have access to the required toilet facilities at all times that the building is occupied.

2021 IBC [P] 2902.3.3 Location of Toilet Facilities in Occupancies Other Than Malls

In occupancies other than covered and open mall buildings, the required public and employee toilet facilities shall be located not more than one story above or below the space required to be provided with toilet facilities, and the path of travel to such facilities shall not exceed a distance of 500 feet (152 m).
Exceptions:

1. The location and maximum distances of travel to required employee facilities in factory and industrial occupancies shall be permitted to exceed that required by this section, provided that the location and maximum distances of travel are approved.
  2. The location and maximum distances of travel to required public and employee facilities in Group S occupancies shall be permitted to exceed that required by this section, provided that the location and maximum distances of travel are approved.

2021 IBC [P] 2902.3.4 Location of Toilet Facilities in Malls

In covered and open mall buildings, the required public and employee toilet facilities shall be located not more than one story above or below the space required to be provided with toilet facilities, and the path of travel to such facilities shall not exceed a distance of 300 feet (91 m). In mall buildings, the required facilities shall be based on total square footage (m2) within a covered mall building or within the perimeter line of an open mall building, and facilities shall be installed in each individual store or in a central toilet area located in accordance with this section. The maximum distance of travel to central toilet facilities in mall buildings shall be measured from the main entrance of any store or tenant space. In mall buildings, where employees' toilet facilities are not provided in the individual store, the maximum distance of travel shall be measured from the employees' work area of the store or tenant space.

Yes. That can be done if it complies with the following.

2021 IBC [P] 2902.3.1 Access

The route to the public toilet facilities required by Section 2902.3 shall not pass through kitchens, storage rooms or closets. Access to the required facilities shall be from within the building or from the exterior of the building. The public shall have access to the required toilet facilities at all times that the building is occupied.

2021 IBC [P] 2902.3.3 Location of Toilet Facilities in Occupancies Other Than Malls

In occupancies other than covered and open mall buildings, the required public and employee toilet facilities shall be located not more than one story above or below the space required to be provided with toilet facilities, and the path of travel to such facilities shall not exceed a distance of 500 feet (152 m).
Exceptions:

1. The location and maximum distances of travel to required employee facilities in factory and industrial occupancies shall be permitted to exceed that required by this section, provided that the location and maximum distances of travel are approved.
  2. The location and maximum distances of travel to required public and employee facilities in Group S occupancies shall be permitted to exceed that required by this section, provided that the location and maximum distances of travel are approved.

2021 IBC [P] 2902.3.4 Location of Toilet Facilities in Malls

In covered and open mall buildings, the required public and employee toilet facilities shall be located not more than one story above or below the space required to be provided with toilet facilities, and the path of travel to such facilities shall not exceed a distance of 300 feet (91 m). In mall buildings, the required facilities shall be based on total square footage (m2) within a covered mall building or within the perimeter line of an open mall building, and facilities shall be installed in each individual store or in a central toilet area located in accordance with this section. The maximum distance of travel to central toilet facilities in mall buildings shall be measured from the main entrance of any store or tenant space. In mall buildings, where employees' toilet facilities are not provided in the individual store, the maximum distance of travel shall be measured from the employees' work area of the store or tenant space.
This is very helpful! Thank you!! :)