• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Public v Private stair

kiwijbob

A stair within a single hotel suite.... public or private??? my head says private but the code infers that it is certainly public as the only private stairs are in or associated with dwellings.

A stair within a single hotel suite.... public or private??? my head says private but the code infers that it is certainly public as the only private stairs are in or associated with dwellings.
Can't answer for how the Canadian code handles it, but the IBC would regulate the stairs in an R1 occupancy (hotel). There are no exceptions for an R1, so all the IBC codes would apply. No distinction between public and private, but my guess is the "public" would apply.

Private stairs only serve dwelling units. The question is if the local AHJ would class a hotel suite as a dwelling unit. It is certainly a suite, but I would have a hard time agreeing that it is a dwelling unit. Most do not seem to meet the definition under the code. Additionally, the relaxations associated with dwelling units are primarily because the occupant is familiar with the environment. I'm not sure that I could agree that an occupant of a hotel room would develop the same level of familiarity as with their home.

The IBC has exceptions for stairs within dwelling units or sleeping units in R-2 (dormitories & apartments) and R-3 (dwelling units in buildings with other occupancies), but not for R-1 (hotel rooms). As tmurray pointed out this is because hotel rooms are for transient occupants who aren't familiar with the space, so they need a higher level of safety.