• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

PVC ducting?

T

timh

I have been asked by a local contractor as to weather PVC piping is a code compliant substitute for metal ducting to serve a bathroom exhaust in a single family dwelling. In my research in both the IRC and the IMC, I have not found a definative answer. It appears to me if the PVC can't make the smoke and/or flame index it's not allowed. And the IMC sort of alludes that PVC is only allowed underground. I am inclined to tell him no, but would prefer to be in a stronger postion to defend my decision. Anybody care to add their 2 cents?

Thanks

Tim

Re: PVC ducting?

PVC exhaust vent - We use it for high efficiency water heater and furnaces? Must be approved someplace. :?:

If the PVC can comply with R1601 "Duct Systems", I guess it would be OK.

I have seen PVC used for bath fan exhaust, but only in attics,and not in my jurisdiction.

You're worried about SDR 35 or sched 40 but the flexible white 'saran wrap' with the metal coil/spring is OK? :eek:

Does the manufacturer allow it? Does it have the correct inside diameter? Those are probably more important questions to ask. :roll:

Some contractors use the light weight pvc pipe that you would use in ground to hook up to down spouts from roof gutters to duct there bathroom exaust fans.

It looks like a clean way to vent the fans and everyone says it is easy to work with. I approve it.

Rick

You can use PVC condensate drains in the attic, PVC and ABS DWV...... I don't think the flame/smoke spread makes a difference in (the code) a single family dwelling.....