• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

questions about exception on IFC 2018 607.2

tong

[M] 607.2 Where Required​

A Type I hood shall be installed at or above all commercial cooking appliances and domestic cooking appliances used for commercial purposes that produce grease vapors.
Exceptions:
  1. Factory-built commercial exhaust hoods that are listed and labeled in accordance with UL 710, and installed in accordance with Section 304.1 of the International Mechanical Code, shall not be required to comply with Sections 507.1.5, 507.2.3, 507.2.5, 507.2.8, 507.3.1, 507.3.3, 507.4 and 507.5 of the International Mechanical Code.
  2. Factory-built commercial cooking recirculating systems that are listed and labeled in accordance with UL 710B, and installed in accordance with Section 304.1 of the International Mechanical Code, shall not be required to comply with Sections 507.1.5, 507.2.3, 507.2.5, 507.2.8, 507.3.1, 507.3.3, 507.4 and 507.5 of the International Mechanical Code. Spaces in which such systems are located shall be considered to be kitchens and shall be ventilated in accordance with Table 403.3.1.1 of the International Mechanical Code. For the purpose of determining the floor area required to be ventilated, each individual appliance shall be considered as occupying not less than 100 square feet (9.3 m2).
  3. Where cooking appliances are equipped with integral down-draft exhaust systems and such appliances and exhaust systems are listed and labeled for the application in accordance with NFPA 96, a hood shall not be required at or above them.
  4. A Type I hood shall not be required for an electric cooking appliance where an approved testing agency provides documentation that the appliance effluent contains 5 mg/m3 or less of grease when tested at an exhaust flow rate of 500 cfm (0.236 m3/s) in accordance with UL 710B.

[Questions] Hi,there. I am going to run a korean bbq restaurant which using induction grill.

the induction with UL listed( standard UL 197) but I didnt see any specific like UL710B,
WeChat Screenshot_20230527165146.png

on the bottom is a purified filter

after talking to fire department plan review supervisor, they told me we have to install a type I hood.

it cost too much,I am wondering if we can find a approved testing agent to avoid install type I hood?

"after talking to fire department plan review supervisor, they told me we have to install a type I hood."

I would imagine that if there were a listing for it, then the manufacturer would provide that listing.

This isn't like a used car, you can't go down the street and find a listing, and having it tested and listed is way beyond what the cost would be for a Type I hood. I would say you need to make the FD happy if you want to get your place open.

JMHO

Start by asking the manufacturer. Second choice would be a grille that is certified to 710.