• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

R-2 Building with S-2 Tuck Under parking - NFPA 13 or 13R?

I understand - different uses=different separation requirements. Thank you.
I’ve been thinking about the building you described. I would paraphrase 406.3.2 this way - Where a private garage is attached to a dwelling unit, the required separation between that garage and unit is less than required by 508.

I’ve been thinking about the building you described. I would paraphrase 406.3.2 this way - Where a private garage is attached to a dwelling unit, the required separation between that garage and unit is less than required by 508.
I agree.

I'll add that I'm surprised by how generous the 202 definition of "private garage" is. It is very clearly written to allow this classification in multifamily situations and doesn't impose any requirement concerning who lives directly above or beside which car. The owner just needs to be "on the premises". I do think that plans should indicate "reserved parking for tenants only" (not for guests) for the spaces contained in such a garage and the designers should be alerting the building owner to this nuance.

I'm also surprised that 406.3 includes language suggesting that it's legal to line up several <1,000sf "private garages" in a row, with 1hr 707 fire barriers separating them, and still maintain that designation.