• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

R-3 and attic access through garage ceiling

I actually had to do that one day when I pulled up to an intersection and a guy's Eddie Bauer Explorer had smoke coming from under the hood. The guys on duty where surprised when they pulled up and found I had put the fire out, and especially what I had used. Talk about a bunch of disappointment fellows, they were looking forward to do some forcible entry.

GBrackins said:
DH do you mean using beer to put out a fire would be alcohol abuse, or abuse of alcohol?
around these parts we call that Brewicide! a beer is a terrible thing to waste as they say.

ICE said:
Here's a tip if you have an engine fire. Raise the hood just enough to get the extinguisher nozzle under the hood and pull the trigger. If you raise the hood all the way, the rush of air can make the fire grow real big, real fast. Then you're running down the street, on fire. I hate when that happens.
And to quote the late Richard Pryor..... "If you set yourself on fire and go running down the street, people will get the #$@& out of your way!"

Be careful aboout allowing sheetrock to be applied over an attic access stairway, het in hte summer can cause the springs to expand and allow the door to sag in the summer ---- It may be fine in the winter but with attic temps here appraoching 110 to 120 degrees in the summer, the springs have a hard enought time keeping the door closed in the summer without extra sheet rock weight. We usually suggect a positive locking action that the homeowner can unlock for access when needed -