• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

R1 Occupancy or IRC residential structure???

The basic question is does it meet R-1 per ibc

310.1 Residential Group R. Residential Group R includes, among others, the use of a building or structure, or a portion thereof, for sleeping purposes when not classified as an Institutional Group I or when not regulated by the International Residential Code in accordance with Section 101.2. Residential occupancies shall include the following:

R-1 Residential occupancies containing sleeping units where the occupants are primarily transient in nature, including:

Boarding houses (transient)

Hotels (transient)

Motels (transient)

Congregate living facilities (transient) with 10 or fewer occupants are permitted to comply with the construction requirements for Group R-3.

Righter, you say you are bound by the Washington State Ammendments to the IBC. Please check the Washingotn State ammendment to Section 903.2.8. Seems fairly clear that these units would be considered R-1. However sprinklers are not required in Group R-1 occupancies IF all of the folowing conditions apply:

1. The Group R fire area is less than 500 square feet and used for recreation only

2. The Group R fire area is one story

3. The Group R fire area does not include a basement

4. The Group R fire area is not closer than 30' to another structure

5. Cooking is not allowed within the Group R fire area

6. The Group R fire area has an occupant load of no more than 8

7. A hand held (portable) fire extinguisher is in every Group R fire area

This discription fir your situation almost to a "T"

It sounds as though what you really have on-site are considerable more than 3-4 units when the new are added to the old. Another portion of the Wa ST Ammendments states that all units on site shall be considered when determining the number of Type A and Type B units required.

Big Mac said:
Righter, you say you are bound by the Washington State Ammendments to the IBC. Please check the Washingotn State ammendment to Section 903.2.8. Seems fairly clear that these units would be considered R-1. However sprinklers are not required in Group R-1 occupancies IF all of the folowing conditions apply:1. The Group R fire area is less than 500 square feet and used for recreation only

2. The Group R fire area is one story

3. The Group R fire area does not include a basement

4. The Group R fire area is not closer than 30' to another structure

5. Cooking is not allowed within the Group R fire area

6. The Group R fire area has an occupant load of no more than 8

7. A hand held (portable) fire extinguisher is in every Group R fire area

This discription fir your situation almost to a "T"

It sounds as though what you really have on-site are considerable more than 3-4 units when the new are added to the old. Another portion of the Wa ST Ammendments states that all units on site shall be considered when determining the number of Type A and Type B units required.
The problem with this is that the structures, in and of themselves, meet all of the criteria to be considered under the IRC, thus we wouldn't even get in to the IBC or associated ammendments.

It seems flawed to me, but I don't think I can require them to even comply with accessbility requirements.

cda said:
The basic question is does it meet R-1 per ibc310.1 Residential Group R. Residential Group R includes, among others, the use of a building or structure, or a portion thereof, for sleeping purposes when not classified as an Institutional Group I or when not regulated by the International Residential Code in accordance with Section 101.2. Residential occupancies shall include the following:

R-1 Residential occupancies containing sleeping units where the occupants are primarily transient in nature, including:

Boarding houses (transient)

Hotels (transient)

Motels (transient)

Congregate living facilities (transient) with 10 or fewer occupants are permitted to comply with the construction requirements for Group R-3.
I actually think the heart of the matter is "can they be considered as IRC structures?". I think the answer is yes, reguardless of length of rental or transient nature, where the IRC is silent, thus making it allowable.

righter101 said:
That is one of my concerns. If they are permitted under the IRC, there are zero provisions to make them accessible.
There is the ADA. However, this is a case where it is not your job to enforce accessibility requirements.

khsmith55 said:
Not knowing what Edition your under, I might try to classify them as R3 as permitted by 2009 IBC, Section 310.1 for congregate living facilities (transient) with 10 or fewer occupants. 400sfx4 units = 1600sf, 1600sf/200olf=8 occupants. I have successfully used this position for “short term” house rentals in ski areas.
If by "successfully," you mean that you misapplied the law, then yes, you were successful.

I would after being confoozed say that the IRC could apply if seperate and seperated as 1 or 2 family even if multiple dwellings on the same lot - thats zoning / planning multiple residece stuff As to Accessible the Fair housing act applies if there are 4 or more units in a building and that reg states that the sum of all dwelling / sleeping units on the PROPERTY determine the number for compliance so 8 building of 2 or 16 singles would be grater than 4 so ADA Access is necessary at 4. in the now famous words of Captain Schettino " I'm on board with that"

The Americans with Disabilities Act and the Fair Housing Act have several similarities, But

The FHA does not apply to so called "transient" housing such as hotels and motels.

The FHA does cover apartment and condo units.

If these units are rental properties, for long term, such as apartments then yes, the Fair Housing Act will govern, But

If these units are rental properties are for a timeshare or "weekend" or even week type "rentals", the ADA governs.

Read the scoping documents of the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Fair Housing Act.

ADA applies to places of public accommodation - structures constructed to the IRC are not exempt if they are used for non-exempt activities.

Accessibility issues in the scenario described simply fall on the Owner, Commercial Tenants operating the facilities (as applicable), and Designer.

The most a code official can do is to suggest those parties wear their big girl undies.

The verdict is in. I finally got a reply from planning/zoning. They would only be allowed one single family residence. Their master resort plan allows them a number of small sized transient rentals however.....

R1 it is.

Thank you to everyone that gave their input.

They would only be allowed one single family residence. Their master resort plan allows them a number of small sized transient rentals however.....
Zoning does not determine the building code you use or the type of occupany assigned

righter101 said:
The verdict is in. I finally got a reply from planning/zoning. They would only be allowed one single family residence. Their master resort plan allows them a number of small sized transient rentals however..... R1 it is. Thank you to everyone that gave their input.
Since when does zoning determine building code occupancy? Sounds like you're just looking to watch someone dance for your amusement.

These units are obviously planned to be used for commercial purposes with the majority of tenants being transcient. R-1

cda said:
so what occupancy would this be::::
The same as these Adirondack Cabins

Cabins2.jpg

14x48-Adirondack.jpg

capecod.jpg

It is all about sprinklering. The legacy codes had exceptions for units as described the IBC does not

I wonder if there are acurate fire death numbers for the single or double unit buildings or are they just included with all motel/hotel numbers

mtlogcabin said:
Zoning does not determine the building code you use or the type of occupany assigned
If zoning allows only 1 (one) Single Family Residence, then to some degree it dictates that if someone is proposing to build 3 separate structures and attempts to classify them as IRC structures, it would be disallowed.

Or another way of putting it, OK, I will allow these structures to be built under the provisions of the IRC, no sprinklers, no accessibility. Fine, however, due to zoning, you are only allowed to build one.

So, technically, zoning doesn't per se determine the building code used, it would, eventually, have a large degree of influence on occupancies (use).

brudgers said:
Since when does zoning determine building code occupancy? Sounds like you're just looking to watch someone dance for your amusement.
So if the zoning requirements allow only 1 (one) Single Family Dwelling, I should just ignore those and allow them to build 3 or 4 single family dwelling??

Brugers, could you please provide me a list of which other laws and regulations I should ignore.

Also, your "dance for your amusement" comments have already surpassed trite.

Last edited by a moderator:
SECTION 302

CLASSIFICATION

302.1 General. Structures or portions of structures shall be

classified with respect to occupancy in one or more of the

groups listed below. Structures with multiple uses shall be classified

according to Sec tion 302.3. Where a structure is proposed

for a purpose which is not specifically provided for in

this code, such structure shall be classified in the group which

the occupancy most nearly resembles, according to the fire

safety and relative hazard involved.