• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

R317.1.3 2012

Thank you for the information. I went through Andrew back in 1991 when I was living in South Florida and remember firsthand the destruction in Homestead.

I'll check out the link you provided and pull out my ASCE7 and put some study into it. I hope you won't mind my asking questions of you as I go along. Thanks again

Well, one of the issues with Andrew was shoddy construction of single family homes - there were a lot of houses which didn't meet the South Florida Building Code requirements at the time of their construction. There were also issues with gable ends of roofs not being braced and a lack of impact protection for openings.

Of course the biggest factor was, we haven't had a hurricane in decades. I used to hear that in St. Pete, "This house has been around for seventy five years." Last hurricane to strike the Bay area full on was 1921 and put Oldsmar under 14 feet of water.