• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

R502.6.1 Floor Systems

4thorns

Bronze Member
"Joists framing from opposite sides over a bearing support shall lap a minimum of 3 inches........

Does this portion of the code mean that all 3 inches of the lap need to be over the support?

In the case of a multiple-ply girder, the joist must only bear of 1.5"; it can bear solely on the outside member. A joist from the opposite side could extend 1.5" past the girder to provide the minimum 3" lap.

I see no issue with where the lap is as long as each joist has a minimum bearing of 1.5" on the girder. Otherwise it would say "shall lap a minimum of 3 inches over a bearing support".

Thanks for the replies.

Can anyone point me to documentation as to the exact purpose of this 3" lap and/or the splice blocking that this code says is acceptable.

"R502.6.1 Floor systems. Joists framing from opposite sides over a bearing support shall lap a minimum of 3 inches and shall be nailed together with a minimum three 10d face nails. A wood or metal splice with strength equal to or greater than that provided by the nailed lap is permitted."

The Lap is for nailing, not for bearing

Hi Mark,

" A wood or metal splice with strength equal to or greater than that provided by the nailed lap is permitted."
The word "strength" indicates that the lap or splice is resisting force(s) of some sort. I'm just trying to understand what they are resisting.

4thorns said:
Hi Mark, The word "strength" indicates that the lap or splice is resisting force(s) of some sort. I'm just trying to understand what they are resisting.
What are you proposing? A metal Strap? A wood member "sistered" on to the joists? The shear value of a 10d common nail is about 110 lbs

It's leaving it open based on field conditions, you are overthinking this stuff.....

Last edited by a moderator:
It all depends on the installed conditions.

In the basement, they may be resisting lateral pressure from soil pushing against the foundation.

In the second floor ceiling they may be helping to resist outward thrust of the rafters.

Or, they may just be helping the end of the joists to resist rotation.

I agree with Mark, don't overthink the issue.

I appreciate your patience and you've got to believe that I'm not trying to be a pain in the a$$. I never grew out of the "Why" phase and I believe that that is why I have been told a gazillion times that I think to much. I also believe that I've gained a ton of knowledge because of it. You guys have listed a few possible reasons for this particular piece of code and I agree with all of them. I think that any one of them, or a combination of any of them may be the purpose of it. Unfortunately, and I mean no offense to anyone, this reason hasn't been presented to me. I know that whoever the actual author of this simple piece of code is, had a purpose in mind. Unfortunately I haven't found him/her.

Just because I think that there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow doesn't make it so. I need proof.