• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

R503.2.1.1(1) code on roof sheathing thickness

atvjoel

Am I reading it right that if I have 60psf snow load in my area (thats what trusses are engineered for), I could not use 7/16 osb because that only allots 40psf with 24" O.C?

I would have to use 15/32 plywood they dont sell 15/32 osb where I am at, or 19/32 OSB?

I will probably go with 15/32 plywood if I am reading this right.

Thanks in advance.

I read span tables same. 7/16" tops out at 40 psf when on 24" centers. 15/32" which tops out at 65 psf on 24" centers.

If you own and can't or won't return 7/16, strap trusses with furring 20" on center. I'd think 1x3 would be adequate for furring but not sure.

Not too late.....Sheathing isn't nailed down yet....
True … but if he is expecting to install the sheathing “today” … the day he posted the question … it’s a little late to be realizing the material he bought won’t work.

True … but if he is expecting to install the sheathing “today” … the day he posted the question … it’s a little late to be realizing the material he bought won’t work.
EH,

At least he was smart enough to double check and correct the issue before making it more than just a delay and then pull off and do over.

Joel, I for one give you credit for the catch and looking for a correction and the fortitude to post again.

I also don't know the exact cross strapping pattern nor sizing allowed, but hopefully a call to the truss company or someone who knows at your supplier or maybe someone here can provide a table specific pointer which provides the direction.

The obvious was getting the correct plywood, but it looks like that is not available from your local suppliers, thus the outreach and question.

Good luck

I didnt say i was expecting to do it that day. I work at a remote Mine Site and have to leave for weeks at a time. I meet my project milestones as much as possible.

EH,

At least he was smart enough to double check and correct the issue before making it more than just a delay and then pull off and do over.

Joel, I for one give you credit for the catch and looking for a correction and the fortitude to post again.

I also don't know the exact cross strapping pattern nor sizing allowed, but hopefully a call to the truss company or someone who knows at your supplier or maybe someone here can provide a table specific pointer which provides the direction.

The obvious was getting the correct plywood, but it looks like that is not available from your local suppliers, thus the outreach and question.

Good luck
They happened to sell 15/32 plywood (not OSB) at my local HD. My wife is just listing it on FB today for a couple bucks a sheet less. I will just have Home Depot deliver 15/32 plywood. I would even go 5/8 OSB but its substantially heavier and due to being on hillside lot a zoom boom or man basket isnt an option on one side. I might email my engineer thatstamped my trusses and see what he thinks. I am stuck in remote Alaska for next week and a half anyway so i have time.

Thanks for everyones response. It will help people in the future that live in areas with higher snow load then those of Southern US and Hawaii.

Not too late.....Sheathing isn't nailed down yet....
Not too late until the shingles are on haha but ya I was not in a hurry to nail it down. Last house i built I went 5/8 but this hillside lot much more challenging and have to manually lift the sheathing up to the roof. Weight is the factor not the extra money. Think I can zoom boom one side but other side way too sketchy, plus there is about a foot of snow.

Blocking the edges might be an option. Whatever the option is, it will be additional work and material. A few dollars more for plywood makes sense. If radiant barrier is specified, I don't think that it is available on plywood.

I didnt say i was expecting to do it that day. I work at a remote Mine Site and have to leave for weeks at a time. I meet my project milestones as much as possible.
Well my bad … that’s how i interpreted this statement: Trusses are already up, I am ready for sheathing today after I get my other overhang built