• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Radius Corners

My original questions related strictly to the foundation but some are referencing footing.

Aren't they pretty much the same thing? I understand that a foundation can have a stem wall, however most do not. So a slab for example has a footing which is the foundation.

ICE, Generally speaking yes they are the same however for structural purposes I would say each has specific purposes. The foundation experiences vertical and lateral pressures whereas the footing and stem wall more specifically distribute incoming vertical load to the substrate.

A stem wall while it is listed as part of a foundation is in my opinion nothing more than a vertical extension of a footing with the sole exception being the stem wall does not sit on virgin or prepared base of soil. Both the footing and stem wall have equal backfill.

Last edited:
ICE, Generally speaking yes they are the same however for structural purposes I would say each has specific purposes. The foundation experiences vertical and lateral pressures whereas the footing and stem wall more specifically distribute incoming vertical load to the substrate.

A stem wall while it is listed as part of a foundation is in my opinion nothing more than a vertical extension of a footing with the sole exception being the stem wall does not sit on virgin or prepared base of soil. Both the footing and stem wall have equal backfill.
Many times, a stem wall can experience significant lateral forces. It has the backfill pushing it inward and it has the reaction forces of the framing forcing it outward. Of course it depends on the height of the stem wall but many times when they get up to 3'-4' they can experience some significant forces.

Many times, a stem wall can experience significant lateral forces. It has the backfill pushing it inward and it has the reaction forces of the framing forcing it outward. Of course it depends on the height of the stem wall but many times when they get up to 3'-4' they can experience some significant forces.
Very true, especially with 8' high hillside foundations we can't backfill until the floor framing is in place to hold the foundation wall from moving inward, this is a PIA for us since we love to backfill before we roll joists so we aren't stepping/falling in the hole.

I don't think the corner of a footing or foundation wall is actually a lap splice situation. I'm extremely rusty when it comes to concrete & reinforcing details, but if I remember right you can use a hook or turn the rebar 90 degrees for 6" or so to develop the tension.

It depends on what Seismic Design Category you are located in.

2015 IBC, Sec. 1905, Modifications to ACI 318, 1905.1.7 Seismic Design Cat C,D, E or F. (c) Plain Concrete Footings...Last sentence..."Continuity of reinforcement shall be provided at corners and intersections" (2012 IBC says the same thing)

Exceptions:
1. In Seismic Design Cat A, B and C, detached one- and two-family dwellings three stories or less in height constructed with stud-bearing walls are permitted to have plain concrete footings without longitudinal reinforcement.

So, if its commercial under the IBC, corner bars or continuous rebar is required at corners and intersections.
If it's residential one and two-family dwellings, and you are located in Seismic Cat A, B or C, no reinforcement is required at all.

That being said, I don't always agree with the code, but it is what it is.

As Mike posted...Ch4 sends you to Ch 6 and gives you the min. lap splice...From a devils advocate point of view, I can't see why it matters in the corner. Until we adopted the 2009 we had no rebar in the vast majority of our houses and have never seen a failure for this....

Msradell, When a stem wall is exposed on one face yes I agree, the stem wall will experience significant outward forces however my explanation referenced equal backfill on both faces.

Eogea62, I will read into that portion a bit more for consideration.

Failures that might have been prevented with proper reinforcing.

1707-Maryvale-Dr-005.jpg

ft_tree_foundation2.jpg

26511-img8951.jpg

mark h.
Nice pics. The first looks like soil lateral load was the cause, the 2nd and 3rd appear to be differential settlement. Different causes, possibly required different solutions to prevent failure.

mark h.
Nice pics. The first looks like soil lateral load was the cause, the 2nd and 3rd appear to be differential settlement. Different causes, possibly required different solutions to prevent failure.
Even if it is the soil settlement, rebar may have and probably would have prevented the failure.
compf_ff.png

Rebar is for tension

Last edited: